Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASE to Postgres via replication server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're looking at using Postgres alongside an ASE environment with Replication

Is there a way that Rep Server can connect to Postgres and replicate data to it ?

Or is it possible to write your own plug-in to Postgres ? If so how easy are they to write ?

Thanks

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Thanks a lot for the information - thats excellent.

ECDA->ODBC looks like it might be possible. From what I can tell Postgres has an ODBC driver

so perhaps this will work.

I'm not expecting to define any custom datatype mappings as Sybase supports a subset of Postgres types (I guess it would be necessary going the other way) - but maybe I'm wrong.

Mike

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Mike,

(I think we used to have a Direct Connect Anywhere that could interface with any ODBC driver to allow access for ASE CIS, and SRS - but that is now gone AFAIK).

If you are just looking at moving data from ASE to Postgres one way, then you might also want to look into SRS with Data Services Change Data Capture (CDC) or DS alone (as ETL).

CDC allows you to capture transactions from SRS and interface with DS to move the data to a destination.

This might be an easier solution than rolling your own interface from SRS to Postgres.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

We'd prefer to move data both ways but moving it one way would be good enough to move some components to Postgres.

I'll have to read more about SRS with Data Services Change Data Capture but feels at present a little

more complex than a ODBC connection. But that could be because I don't understand the solution.

> This might be an easier solution than rolling your own interface from SRS to Postgres.

I'm hoping the Rep Server- > ODBC would mean we don't have to roll our own.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to the doc, the replication from ASE via Heterogeneous Replication Server to PostgreSQL is not supported, only HANA, DB2, MS SQL, Oracle.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36924.1571100/doc/pdf/rshetrep.pdf

I don't think you can write your own plugin for Repserver but you could open a SAP Case to suggest the idea.

Vince