cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Characteristic text not displaying in planning book header

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When I am loading data into planning book, I am not seeing text of a particular characteristic (navigational attribute) in selected objects as well in planning book header.

That is, when I select this characteristic in header display I can only see value of this in drop down but no text is displayed.

But for other characteristics I can see text properly.

Is there any setting related to info-object (RSD1) or anywhere else where I can check for text?

Please note I have checked "Text" check box in planning book header setting.

Please share you views on this issue.

Thank you,

Vishal Chavan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

I would double check the nav attributes text within the BI side of APO to make sure the text is populated.  Pull up the characteristic in RSD1 and view the text table defined in the Masterdata/Text tab... is it populated for your nav attribute value?  If not, you'll need to reload your text values for that characteristic.  You may want to also execute "Apply Hierarchy/Attribute Change..." in RSA1: click Tools at the top and its the first one.  It activates/refreshes attribute text and characteristic linkages.

Hope that helps.

C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your input. I checked as per your suggestion but it didn't work out.

Further more I found that characteristic I am looking is of 14 CHAR (length), and I am facing issue only when value is less than 14 characters and such value is getting preceded by zeros in planning book.

But in master data table of this characteristic, such value is stored without preceded zeros and due to mismatch between planning book data and table entry, text is not getting fetched.

In RSD1, conversion routine is blank for this characteristic. Do you think putting conversion routine for this characteristic will help?

Thank you,

Vishal Chavan.

0 Kudos

Hey Vishal,

That's interesting... yes I do think it'll help, BUT, it depends on how the users of the system want the data represented (meaning do they want leading zeros, do they care?, etc).  Typically, the ALPHA conversion routine is used to convert external data to the internally defined format... and by defining that conversion routine in the characteristic definition it'll be called by default in datasources and transformations when loading master data.

If you're in a position to do so (i.e. no impact to end users) here is what I would try... add the alpha conversion routine to either the infoobject definition in RSD1, or in the datasource that loads in the masterdata for the characteristic (in the fields tab).  You'll need to reload your masterdata text, and what should come across should be padded w/ zeros for the <14 character values, and your CVCs should find the text in the shuffler/header of the planning book.  These padded values will likely create a new record in the text table and you'll probably end up with some extra values that you'll want to cleanse out at a later point.

Now another thing you may want to look at is the data that is used during CVC creation... is there a conversion routine in play in the transmission of this data from the source to APO?  Is there a reason the CVC characteristic value has padded zeros in it?  The flip side to the coin is if you identify why the padded zeros are being added, and eliminate it... if you recreate the CVC w/o the zeros it should find the text in the masterdata table.

As you've said, it seems that the gist of your issue here is that the master data text key is in one format, and the data used for CVC creation is in another... and they need to be in sync in order for the CVC live cache data to find the correct value in the text table.

Good luck sir, hope this rambling is somewhat helpful.

Best

C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christopher,

Yes, as you said we have asked ECC person to check data which is a source for this characteristic and change it accordingly.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

Vishal Chavan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

did you checked in transaction  RSDMD for your characteristic infoobject in APO?

if this is navigation attribute and data is not coming form ECC, i believe you might be maintaining the same in APO under RSDMD for your charecteristic infoobject

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christopher,

With reference to our previous discussion on this, text is appearing now after changing value at ECC side. But now by default "Short-text" is displaying in planning book when we click on that characteristic in header. We have maintained "Short" "Medium" and "Long" texts for same.

Any clue how to bring long text here?

Thank you,

Vishal Chavan

0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

If you can verify that the S, M and L text are available in APO... by viewing the data in the text table (use RSD1, select the characteristic and click Display, select the Master data/Text tab, double click on the text table tech name)... if the text is in the system then you should be able to expose it in the shuffler in /SAPAPO/SDP94.

Pull up a CVC in the shuffler, and use the characteristic you want to see the text for as your "Show" criteria.  Depending on your users settings, you may be seeing all, some or none of the text in the shuffler.  Click on the 'Choose Selection Fields' button in the ribbon just above the shuffler it should be the 9th button from the left.

Select the object your viewing from the drop down (ex: APO Location) and select/deselect the fields as necessary.  You should be seeing short, medium and long descriptions available... if not then something else is wrong.  Once you select your desired fields, click the Save icon and these fields will be what is shown in the shuffler whenever you select that "Show" characteristic criteria in the future.

Hope that helps my man... best of luck!

C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for reply. I am seeing text in shuffler.

But its not what I am looking for. I am facing issue after loading data from shuffler into planning book. I want to filter loaded data based on various characteristics. To do so I am adding them into planning book header using "Header Information Setting". Now when I am clicking on this characteristic I can see list of values for this characteristic.(Either drop down or pop-up).

I have selected both ID and Text option in header setting so that to see Value + Text. Here in this text I am seeing only short text. Even though all three texts are avaialble in text table for that particular value.

Thank you,

Vishal.

0 Kudos

Ah, ok got it... sadly, I don't know why the header button text chooses hat it does.  In my system the medium text is what is used, when both short and medium are populated... but again I don't know why it uses what it does.

Keep in mind that the header buttons have a 40 char maximum... how long is the key for the characteristic value?  Have you tried deactivating and deleting the short text for the characteristic in RSD1?  Maybe the header will choose the medium or long text if the short isn't available?

Sorry I can't be of more help... please post if you figure this out as I'm curious myself.

Best of luck

C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

As you mentioned that you have already checked 'Text' check box in planning book header, the text should appear. However you can try by activating your characteristic again from RSA1.

Select the info object and right click to activate master data.

Thanks,

Rohit