cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing paper type dynamically in SAP Interactive Forms by Adobe (SIFbA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi community,

we are using SAP Interactive Forms by Adobe (SIFbA) printing forms. They do very well and are easy to create!

I like the way of non-redundant forms: Just create one form and let an according data class behind it retrieve the correct data for every business case. That means only 1 SD invoice form for different subsidiaries. Even that works perfect!

Now there's the requirement to roll out the new QM 8D report form to our US subsidiary dealing with other paper types like A4. In that case we have US-Letter format.

My idea is to detect that via the data class and setup the the form property "paper type" dynamically from A4 (used at design time in LCD) to US-Letter format. I know that it will only work at "initialization event" of the form - but that would be perfect!

Travelling further along my thoughts, I only have to reduce the printing area by about 2 cm to fit US-Letter Format and thus also reduce the designed elements by 2 cm.

So far in theory 🙂

In Adobe Life Cycle Designer (LCD) I am able to perform all that steps manually at design time:

( ScreenShot: Showing the "paper type setting" at design time. Unfortunately from German LCD version)

So, does anyone have an idea wether my plan is possible? It doesn't matter if it can be realized either with ABAP nor with JAVASCRIPT or even FORMCALC 🙂

Best regards,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Istvan,

Thank you very much!

I just tested your 1st Suggestion with the "stock" property. It works perfectly with direct printing - but as you said, it's completely ignored by the ADS when creating a pdf document 😞

Unfortunately, our process requires a creation of the Adobe form as pdf wich will be archived to a SAP Archive. Later on, the archived document will either be e-mailed or printed. So for direct printing, your solution is great !

Nevertheless, I'm looking for a solution working with the pdf to cover the second part of the requirement...

Is your second suggestion supposed to work with pdf document creation ?

I tested your mentioned testreport FP_TEST_03, but on our system there wasn't a profile called "MediaA4ToLetter.xml". And I couldn't find your attachment...

Best regards,

Frank

istvan_janosi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

the Jobprofile XML is attached to my previous answer in this thread.

But it works also only for PS and PCL outputs.

(See XFA specification for "mediumInfo" property.)

Based on all these informations I don't think that this is possible the change the paper size dynamically for PDF output in one template.

Best regards

Istvan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Istvan,

quick answer 🙂

Yeah, finally I found your attachment profile. Thank's!

I guess, you really resumed it very well:

currently, it seems not to be possible to change paper size for a PDF output dynamically!

So, I will be forced to

- either create an exact copy of the Adobe Form and simply adjust the layout sizes (having redundat form data!)

- or design the layout fitting both output formats (which may look less great)

- or create a second page in that form with "Letter fit elements" and only getting printed the side

for which destination country the form is intended to be.

Summing up all 3 alternatives, I have to say: "I have had expected more from SAP and Adobe"...

If I get to know a smoother way, I will let you know 🙂

Best regards,

Frank

istvan_janosi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

the good news is that it is possible to establish your requirenment but the bad news is that only for PCL or PS (PostScript) output but not for PDF.

(At least I was not able to find any solution for PDF.)

There are 2 ways:

1.) You can use the 'stock' property on your form in the 'docReady' event of your form object as follows:

xfa.form.form1.pageSet.Page1.medium.stock = "Letter";

Here you can implement any logic you want.

Reference: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/designerHelp/index.htm?content=001254.html

2.) or you can use JobProfile

How to use it see the note:

1743567 - JobProfile Collection

https://css.wdf.sap.corp/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F64653D3...

I've attached the sample JobProfile: MediaA4ToLetter.xml 

With testreport FP_TEST_03 you can even test the JobProfile.

Best regards
Istvan