cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Data into PowerDesigner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have received a  proposal to upload four excel sheet data into power designer. I suggested the client to go with BCP instead of powerdesigner as it will used for modelling not for bulk load. My question is is it possible to load the data into PowerDesigner? In Import excel sheet, I can see we can generate the model from the excel sheet table name & column name. But "No Data" can be uploaded into power designer. Right? Please provide your suggestions on this proposal.

As part of Bulk Load, Data quality check, ID generation, ID existance check, Partial data load, archival and all is there. How it is possible to achieve this in PowerDesigner?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You say you received a  proposal to upload four excel sheet data into power designer.

As example, you can upload into PowerDesigner "List of values", min, max, default values associated to columns, domains, informations as it will used for modelling from Excel sheet, Time to time LOV must be updated. As part of "Data Load", you can load also Data Quality check, specific security informations for Governance, etc.

PowerDesigner is the wrong tool if you want load, as example, all rows about customer, product tables, etc.. As say George it all depends on why you were asked to load it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes..i told the same..but looking to go with VB script to do all these validation, DB connectivity, quality check..again I said to go with bulk copy, staging tables, stored procedures for validations, actual table.

LOV?

Former Member
0 Kudos

VB script to read the excel sheet data and load it in Sybase ASA.

is it feasible approach? Records will be in thousands...

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Looks to me that you are looking for an ETL tool such as SAP Data Services instead, based on your description above.

PD is the wrong tool here.

ASA/SQL Anywhere has some import facilities.  You may want to post your question at:

http://scn.sap.com/community/sql-anywhere

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOV = List of Values

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I say before.

No you can't use PowerDesigner to load thousand records.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is BCP?

Can you please include a small sample of your Excel content, so we can visulaise what you want to do?

You can load anything you like into PowerDesigner, if it makes sense, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it makes sense. It looks like your Excel files contain lots of data rather than metadata, but I could be wrong. Perhaps you have lots of information about columns in a database, which PowerDesigner is definitely good at handling.

Former Member
0 Kudos

BCP - Bulk Copy Program -Sybase ASE utility

yes..it is an excel sheet which contains customer data..it is not about columns in a database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

we dont have any sample excel sheet but what we hard from them was the sheet contains customer data.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PowerDesigner is probably the wrong tool; it all depends on why you were asked to load it - what's the ultimate destination?