cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currency conversion configuration on snapshot key figures

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am enabling our value key figures to use currency conversion.  I'm almost done, but the only ones that I have left are the snapshot key figures.  I am able to update the calculation definitions (BL and Request Level), but the header section that has the "Convert Using" field is grayed out as much of the header section is "locked" on snapshot key figures. 

Do you have a suggestion for enabling snapshot key figures for currency conversion?

Thank you,

Marco

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pramod_mane2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please refer to the consulting note:

2192688 - Best Practice for creating snapshots for converted Key figures

Thanks,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Thank you for providing this note.  From what I read in the note, it is suggesting to do what I was trying in the first place (see my original post), which is to update the calculation definition of the Snapshot key figure itself. 

Is it OK to leave the "Convert using" field blank?  As you know, for the snapshot key figure, the header fields on the KF definition are grayed out for a snapshot key figure.  Will the system assign the correct conversion key figure after saving the change?

If we do this change, then we are not changing the base level of the snapshot key figure, so there would not be a need to convert the data on Key Figures that already have data from Phase 1 (i.e. prior to the currency conversion config).  Thanks for the note!

For newly created KF's, I think Irmi's and Parag's suggestion would be preferred, right?

Kind regards,

Marco

pramod_mane2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

'Convert Using' is only required for editable key figures for dis-aggregation purpose. For snapshot key figure it is not required as it is read-only.

If you directly take snapshot of converted key figure it will create unnecessary combinations and result in performance issues.

It is recommended to follow the steps outlined in the note.

Thanks,
Pramod

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Marco

unfortunately you cannot upload data into a snapshot keyfigure, which is one more reason why I am not such a fan of Snapshots. Hence, the way you proposed is a good way to keep your data.

Or, you create copy operator and with executing copy operator and snapshot one after the other, you can work without files

Example: You may have 4 allowed snapshots in your snapshots-settings, but only 2 are used so far (so minimum two unused). Than you do as shown in the pic below. Not nice (as the unused snapshots have values now that don't make sense, but an interesting game ...)

In my current project, we had requirement to change the planning level after GoLive. Easy if you have backups by copy operator, because you just change the planning levels of boths you KF and the backup-KF, because you can upload values into your Backup-KF from file. You just need to somehow manually adjust your file to the new planning level (aggregation or disaggregation).

Imagine what happens when you need to do that with a KF that makes backups with Snapshot functionality, and what steps you would need than?

So here is some advise you have not asked for:

You should really decide depending on your business requirements, if you prefer Snapshots or taking a "snapshot" by means of copy operators.

So what is your requirement????

If you want to use Snapshots as a kind of "Clipboard" on-demand on random times, Snapshots are good and easy to configure, nice with the rolling overwrite. And if people could live with loss of their snapshots when you really would need to adjust the planning level (which is a major change), all is fine with that as well.

But you still have the danger that someone accidentally executes the wrong snapshot for a KF for which he / she has no authorization, for which as of today we don't have yet possibility to prevent by authorization concept: The Planner could execute even if he has no authorization for the KF itself

If you need snapshots on regular base, for example in a classical S&OP process to backup your final planning, I personally prefer creating a backup KF manually and fill it by copy operator. Or if you need to have the "Backup" in a follow-up calculation, such as BIAS measurement of previous-month-planning for forecast accuracy measurement, backup with copy operator is more save

• KF1 is the source,
  • source in your copy operator is KF1WOCONV (a calculated KF that just takes KF1WOCONV@BPL = KF1@BPL and has NO conversion),
  • KF1BACKUP would be the target KF in copy operator and keep your backup, than here you configure your currency conversion KF1BACKUP@BPLCURRTO.

You can have proper authorization by creating different copy-groups, which is not (yet?) possible for snapshots. I hope that authorization on snapshots will come in the near future, than I will change my mind immediately

So for the moment, because of the authorization restrictions, in my current project we even have the real on-demand-snapshots built by copy operator. As soon as that authorization restriction is changed, my on-demands will be configured as real Snapshots. But for regular backups, I will continue working with copy operators

Cheers

Irmi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

it depends on when you created the snapshot:

1) You create KF 1, still without conversion setting, on level PERPRODCUSTCURR

Than you create the snapshot

-> snapshot is created at same level PERPRODCUSTCURR

Now you add the conversion --> the snapshot is NOT adjusted, kind of inconsistent now and

cannot be changed except by deletion and re-creation of the snapshot config

2) You create KF 2 and do first the conversion setting

Than you create the snapshot

-> snapshot is created at level  PERPRODCUSTCURRCURRTO automatically!!!!

And with that, conversion works identically for the KF and it's snapshot, very convenient.

The above mentioned is valid both for UoM and for currency conversion.

You cannot adjust anything else than what you figured out yourself, and you have some other downsides in snapshots, which is why I don't use them for everything and especially not as a backups:

- you don't have authorization concept behind, so either you provide authorization for snapshot or not, but you cannot allow snapshot only for KF1 and KF2 but not KF3

- you cannot really use it in any follow-up-calculation, because if you need adjustment to the original KF1 (e.g. planning level adjustment) you will need to delete and recreate the snapshot and with that if you use in KF2 the snapshot-KF1 you have a lot of work

That is why I use more copy operator and just call it processwise "snapshot", which allows both adjustments of the snapshot-KF and usage in follow-up-calculation, as well as more sophisticated backup concept

Snapshot I mainly use for on-the-fly snapshot that are NOT used anywhere else

Yours

Irmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Irmi and Parag,

I understand now.  I think it is pretty sophisticated from the system to figure out the join of the planning levels (the base level of the KF plus the base level of the Exchange Rate KF) when creating the Snapshot key figure.  I have tested it, and I can confirm that both of you are correct.

I now have a different problem.  We have already executed several times the snapshot for the value KF's.  There is data there that we need to keep. 

In order to do this the right way (i.e. scenario 2 in Irmi's email), I need to delete the current snapshots and recreate them now that I have updated the value KF's with the Currency conversion configuration.

The challenge now will be to convert the data and reload the snapshots in the right sequence.  In order to do this, I would have to load the value KF's with the values from the first snapshot and run the snapshot operator to capture the data, and then do the same for each of the cycles that we have run the snapshot. 

Is there any suggestion for the data conversion?

Thanks,

Marco

parag_bakde
Explorer
0 Kudos

Great !!

I would do it exactly the way you listed. Not sure if there is are any other way to do it.

Regards,

Parag.

parag_bakde
Explorer
0 Kudos

You do not need to currency conversion for Snapshot KF. When you do an SS for an Currency KF it should have an base planning level as CURRTO added to planning level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parag,

Thank you for your answer.  I would just like to clarify my understanding. 

Let's say the original KF1 has a base planning level of PERPRODCUSTCURR level.  The snapshot is also at the same level, because I created it with KF1 as the source.  I don't see a way of modifying the planning level at the time I create the snapshot KF.  You just select the source KF and the system figures it out when creating the SS KF's.  Also, once the SS KF is created, it is not possible to modify the PL to have the CURRTO dimension.  How do you propose to add the CURRTO to the PL of the SS?

Furthermore, if I were to find a way to create the SS KF at PL PERPRODCUSTCURRCURRTO, how would the snapshot process work since the source KF is at PL PERPRODCUSTCURR?  Isn't it required that the SS be at the same base level as the source KF?

The other thing that I need to think about, is what to do with the data currently held on the snapshot key figures.  Changing the base planning level, would force us to retake those snapshots in the same sequence that they were taken at different points in time. 

I'm sorry, but with my current understanding of your proposed solution, I don't agree with it.  I might have I misunderstood it.  If that's the case, would you care to elaborate?

Kind regards,

Marco

parag_bakde
Explorer
0 Kudos

What is the request level for your KF1 which has a base planning level of PERPRODCUSTCURR ?

If you request level for KF1 is PERPRODCUSTCURRCURRTO then SS KF1 will be created at PERPRODCUSTCURRCURRTO level which includes CURRTO. The data which SS KF1 will he held at PERPRODCUSTCURRCURRTO level.

If you can send me screen print of KF1 and SS KF1 I can clarify it to you as what is going wrong within configuration.

Regards,

Parag