Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material versions

former_member1379176
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am trying to figure out what options are available in SAP for our scenario, but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for online. I am wondering, if we have a material that for some customers has a couple of minor differences (like label type or dimensions), do we need a new material number or is there some sort of version functionality to say that some customers get version 2? I have read about material production versions, but seems to only be relative to BOMs and routings. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Zack

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create Class with type 001 and characteristic as per your requirement, Then create material with classification view.

Do check the classification view is available for you material type.

Rgds,

Nayeem.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

class type 001 is used to classify a material with values that are not available in other material master fields, and the main purpose is to find this material via the characteristics.

But it has no stock separation functionality. And it is not specific to certain customers.

One can think of variant configuration which is then entered with values in the sales order and the material is then manufactured specific to this order. This would be class type 300 then.

Alternative there might be an option through sales BOM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member1379176
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for these suggestions. They sound like they may be leading me in the right direction. I will continue to explore these options to see if it meets our requirements.

former_member233510
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Material type KMAT helps you to go for a product configuration according to the customer's Spec.

It helps you to ensure that the product can be produce from the Spec or not and you can cover all your variants by using this material type.

jagdeepsingh83
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Please explore the option of class and classification

Cook Book - Configurable material and material variants - Supply Chain Management (SCM) - SCN Wiki

also look into the configurable material options. Both options work with PP and Sales.

Introduction to Variant Configuration with an example model - Product Lifecycle Management - SCN Wik...

jagdeepsingh83
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zach

Have you explored the Class and Classification ?

former_member1379176
Participant
0 Kudos

I am not very familiar with classification. Is this something that based on classification type I could assign different values to the same characteristics/ fields for the same material?

My goal is to limit the need to create new material numbers for only minor differences. Is this something that could be passed to production planning to determine correctly which version needs to be produced and for sales be able to relieve the correct item version from inventory?