cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to generate delivery & process shipment from different Storage Locations?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a new process being developed to capture prepping and packing activities for service parts orders in order for pay incentive
program. Currently we have all service purchase & manufactured materials being received into SLoc 777 that is tied to our Service MRP Area. After
materials are prepped personnel would manually transfer materials from 777 to 799 Sloc (799 also associated with Svc MRP Area) to identify prepping activity is complete. We would then like to have delivery generate at this point which will trigger shipping dept to begin packing activity. Upon completion of packing activity personnel would manually transfer materials from 799 Sloc to 700 (700 also associated with Svc MRP Area) to identify packing activity is complete. Is there a way to have delivery created over a Sloc that is different from where final inventory will reside for 601 mvt for shipment?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nelson,

The delivery is tied to one storage location because that's where the material to be delivered is located. There should be other much more straightforward ways to track the prepping and packing activities than by storage location and associated Service MRP Area.

What is the resulting data that you were hoping to generate and leverage by using different storage locations this way?

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glenn,

We were looking at pulling data from MSEG table for material movements associated with each of these activitiies of prepping & packing. With our current setup that utilizes 2 storage locations of 777 & 700 we are performing 311 mvt of material to 700 after prepping. This is currently triggering creation of delivery once requirement date is within horizon days specified. At this point shipping dept is packing materials and assigning to handling unit. There are tables we could extract data associated with handling unit data (VEKP-Header & VEPO-Item) but the item table does not have timestamp so it would take some additional work to compare to previous data to see if credit was given for packing activity. We thought using a Sloc in the middle of current setup to key off of 311 mvt of material from 799 to 700 to identify packing activity was a cleaner approach but then encountered issue noted in original post. Any suggestions?

Nelson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nelson,

What data about the packing do you need to capture that's not available in the goods issue movement? Are you wanting to keep track of the volume of packing that's being done by different people and/or units within certain timeframes? Why can't the goods issue be performed by the people who do the packing? If "packing complete" needs to be separate from "goods issued", could you be more specific about what's happening between those two events?

Thanks!

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glenn,

Yes I asked the same question in regards to using the goods issue movement to give packing output credit. The answer I got in return was timing issue. They may pack some materials up to 5 to 7 days prior to executing shipment (good issue). Pay incentive is calculated and paid on a fiscal month basis. I guess there concern is if the packing activity and shipping activity occurs in different fiscal months. Their input hours would be applied to previous month but their corresponding output hours associated with those input hours are credited in the current fiscal month with good issue. Hence our attempt to more accurately collect data in regards to packing activity.

thanks,

Nelson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nelson,

To me it would make sense to somehow maintain a packing date on the delivery, either at the header or item level.

Do you use, or have you looked at using, the packing functionality in VL02N? If you do, then you can check the Pack status indicator (VBUK-PKSTK) on the delivery:

If Pack status = C, you could potentially use one of the other dates on the delivery (maybe Picking), or you could check the change log table for when the packing was performed. We don't use the packing functionality at my company, so I'm not sure where you would get a date that the items were packed.

Another option would be to add a custom "Date Packed" field to the delivery header (LIKP) or item (LIPS) table that indicates when packing was completed. You would need to also do some interface customizing to enable that custom date value to be maintained.

Glenn