Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to enter the batch number while making the results recording

former_member185450
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Greetings to all..

I have requirement from the user saying that he has to enter the batch number while making the results recording. for this he has to create one MIC without any upper and lower limit. Same MIC has to update in quality plan, with reference to that while making the results user will enter the batch number as alpha numeric character

but as per standard SAP system is not allowing to enter the results for that MIC

could you please suggest any possibility for this

Regards,

Venkatesh..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You didn't say anything about the GR part in spite of everybody suggesting you the way. I'll go with a different approach that you don't do GR at all and use manual inspection lots. Because that will meet up with your requirement.

You can use exits (you gotto search that) to assign alphanumeric assignment to external batch number. Once done, whenever you got to record the results, create a manual inspection lot and assign the batch number whichever is required.

My suggestion might appear strange to everyone but I'll put it on your query that say nothing clearly but starts with Batch number assignment and ends up with MIC value

NJ

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin, that's correct! But again he has to use the same field for batch and not the MIC description. With this option he has the flexibility to create batch as per his own logic that fulfills his criteria but is it really worth creating and inspecting the altogether a different batch that does not exist in MMBE? My understanding could be wrong here but its time that should clarify to which functionality he is referring as batch? Are we on the same page that the batch number here is nothing but the real Batch number field in SAP and not something different?

Hey Sorry for stretching it a bit farther!

Anand

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anand. I read the query again, and one more time. I guess I understood what actually he is asking for. Let me rephrase it step by step,

• I have requirement from the user saying that he has to enter the batch number while making the results recording- User has to enter the Batch number may be as a result or info during result recording itself.
  • for this he has to create one MIC without any upper and lower limit. Same MIC has to update in quality plan- Of course, Batch number could range to anything therefore limits are not needed so that user can save any value.
  • with reference to that while making the results user will enter the batch number as alpha numeric character- Now user wants to enter the result, which is actually the batch number, against this MIC.
  • but as per standard SAP system is not allowing to enter the results for that MIC- Obviously. Cant enter the alphanumeric value

Now what he intend to say by MIC descrition as batch number is that MIC might be created as MICBATCH with description 'Batch Number' and it will be visible to user during result recording once assigned to the plan.

He might have later used the Inspection description field to enter the alphanumeric batch number against the MIC MICBATCH.

I hope I'm right this time and we might land up on same page now

Pl confirm

NJ

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey thanks Nitin!  I could not interpret his point 3 as the "batch" itself is a result! So if the batch number is ABC345 then he would be maintaining the description of that MIC that ends with ABC and would keep the tolerance range open so that later characters (which are actually the number say 345 in this case) can be fed as results in QA32. Thereafter he will fetch the results combining these 2 fields in some custom Z report and would formulate the reading as ABC345.

Ohh!!! If this is so, you got it then and I was again and again pondering how the batch can be inspection parameter? Thanks for clarifying it, I should have reread it carefully!

But still I am in doubt that in which business scenario the batch has to be put as inspection parameter. Chemical industry or automobile or anything else? May be OP can add something on this. Yes we are on the same page now!! Great!

Anand

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand. There is still one gap between our understanding.

What I understand is that result (or batch number) need to be entered as ABC345.

He created a MIC and put the description as 'Batch Number'. Its like you can define Usage Decision in case the MIC is UD. So when user go to result recording screen, he can see Batch number and enter the value against it.

So ABC345 is the value only, I believe.

And against the inspection lot, user may want to enter the results, lets say for 5 MICs and one of those five MICs is MICBATCH i.e Batch Number.

Reason what I understand behind waving off the range is flexibility to enter any value but later stuck with the alphanumeric stuff. Yes, there could be scenarios like Mechanical analysis for a bunch of samples where this might be needed. Each sample belongs to different identification (or batch number) but are operated on a common equipment. If the inspection lots are generated on the basis of requisition requests then there could be a need to enter batch number (or sample number) with the results for tracking purpose.

Gosh! Its really confusing. But its funny to decode the query whereas OP seems to get the solution

NJ

former_member185450
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nitin,

Thanks for your reply..

we are working on the mechanical industry here we have maintained the MIC's for the final inspections

those inspection results user wants get the print..

same we can get the results print in standard SAP but we need that MIC results along with our company log as well as address hence we had gone for Z smart form

same way these final operations are not enable with batch number but reference purpose user will enter the batch number same should show in the final inspection results print

so i suggested the user to enter the batch number in inspection description same i am picking and showing in the smart form out put

Regards,

Venkatesh..

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification. So Shall I say I finally understood your requirement in a closer way?

You are generating inspection lots on some reference basis but not batch number, and to link the inspection results with the batch you got to enter the batch number during result recording.

And you have defined a MIC for this and put the MIC description as 'Batch number' and entering the value in the Inspection description field against this MIC.

Did I follow?

NJ

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So basically this is not a batch managed material correct?  (i.e. in the material master the batch management flag is OFF).

If that is the case, then it makes sense.  The  inspection lot's are manually generated or generated by each GR depending on how they do the process.  Maybe they even work from a single monthly process order or something.  Thus, every inspection lot looks almost the same with possibly only the lot quantities being different.

So they enter the true production batch number as text  in the inspection description field for a MIC.  (BTW: you might want to make "Documentation required" for that MIC if you haven't already).

This description than is pulled and used in the COA.

Craig

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. At least that what seems to me. You can see that I and Anand had a lot discussion over this and we tried our best to catch the requirement and this is what we could make best out of it. Still, it'll be nice if Venkatesh can confirm this.

And very nice point of activating the Documentation part required. Why not take it when it is needed.

Great Sir

Regards,

NJ

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member185450
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you guys issue has been sorted out ..

In one of the MIC inspection description we have maintain the batch number same was stored in the QASE table anyway final inspection results will be taking through the Z Report i have included new field as batch with the help of ABAPer

Regards,

Venkatesh..

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh, I've a doubt here! Would be great if you can help me in understanding this issue.

Are you mentioning batch number as description of MIC as a solution here? So every time when the next lot will be generated, the system will throw the same description despite of new batch for that lot. Isn't that true?? How this can be addressed here?

Possibly I could not understand what is being asked here. I must agree to others that the batch number is something that is created at the time of GR and gets automatically assigned to inspection lot. Hence whatever result recording you do that gets stored default against this batch number. So how the question arises that the user needs to enter the batch number at the time of result recording?

Anand

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

This does not sound to be a good process... Why are you staying at a solution that needs custom fields and Z Reports which is in addition not failure proof? Is there a business requirement on that? Why can't you use the standard SAP process?

Regards

MH

former_member192897
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the purpose of your requirement to enter the batch during result recording? You said you managed to enter the batch in one of the MIC inspection description. Is this batch different than the batch created during goods receipt? If it is same, what is the need to maintain it during Results recording? Does not your Z report fetches the batch from Inspection lot / Material Document?

Batch and Vendor Batch both have to be created during Goods receipt.

Former Member
0 Kudos
If you need to enter the batch number while result recording just for future reference then you can use the text field . select the lot and click on the inspection lot and enter the batch no under short text field.
former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can't enter an alphanumeric value against a MIC.  Only as text as part of the inspection description.

Your internal batch number should be assigned as part of the GR.  If you are referring to a vendor batch number, this should also be recorded in the MIGO transaction at the time of GR.  Not in the inspection lot.

Craig

former_member192897
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you want to enter the Batch number during Results recording? Batch number will get created during Goods receipt itself.

Do you mean Vendor batch? If yes, you can create one more characteristic for your class type and maintain the Vendor batch as per your requirement.

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

If you forward the batch number from goods receipt then there is no need for recording it manually at RR.

Regards

MH