Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup for HA - SAP NW / MSSQL

former_member532067
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have i

nstalled SAP NW 7.4 EHP7 with MS SQL 2012 as database on Windows 2012 R2. The installation for both database and sap are locally, using the server's computer name.

Our client is planning for HA on the MSSQL. They have a new box where MSSQL 2012 is installed. They thinking of just in case of a disaster, or the database may corrupt, they have the secondary database server to switch to. They have their Microsoft consultant for this setup they called "AlwaysON" for MSSQL. I looked to the profile parameter and the db is pointing to the server's computer name (SAPDBHOST). 

They have a question on me that I'm not sure on what to answer to them. This is their question so that they can go on with the project:

"Scenario =  MS SQL1 ( Primary ) ,   MS SQL2 ( Secondary )

Does SAP uses a static  connection string  to connect to the  Ms SQL Server ( Primary )?  Can we modify it use a Listener connection string instead?

Where can we  find this conection string ? And How can we  modify it?  This will allow the users to continously use the  SAP application  seamlessly with out the need to modify the  DB connections string when a disaster in MS SQL1 ( Primary ) happens.  Always On HA/DR will automatically fail it over and use MS SQL2 ( Secondary )."

Thanks in advance. Hope someone  can help me on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jan,

Yes, you can use the listener in a AlwaysOn environment.
Check note 1772688 for further information.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

SAP Support

former_member532067
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Eduardo,

How can I found the connection string used by the primary DB to connect to SAP? Meaning what I will use as connection string or node to connect SAP to the secondary DB or to the listener?

Thank you!

former_member532067
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention aside that SAP and DB is locally installed, SAP and primary DB is in one box.

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jan,

Your variables should look like:

MSSQL_DBNAME=<SID>

MSSQL_SCHEMA=<sid>

MSSQL_SERVER=<listener>;MultiSubnetFailover=yes

I would also recommend to use the conn_opts as mentioned in note 2137130:

MSSQL_DBNAME=<SID>

MSSQL_SCHEMA=<sid>

MSSQL_SERVER=<listener>