Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT API for batch editing of development objects

victor_ionescu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are working on a custom plugin for Eclipse based on the ADT SDK. We would need a possibility to edit multiple ABAP development objects (classes, reports etc.) in background without opening them in the Eclipse editor, i.e. load the objects, update them and post them back to the application server.

Are there some services in the ADT API that we could use in order to solve this issue?

Thanks

Victor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

one option could be that you use the REST API that is provided by SAP for AiE. Check out the communication when opening and changing a class in the ABAP Communication Log. There is an Java API in the SDK providing access to it. It was used in the SAPlink plug-in for ABAP in Eclipse project. We've used it to install the SAPlink installation reports to automate the installation. Please check out the code there.

Best regards

Gregor

4 REPLIES 4

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

one option could be that you use the REST API that is provided by SAP for AiE. Check out the communication when opening and changing a class in the ABAP Communication Log. There is an Java API in the SDK providing access to it. It was used in the SAPlink plug-in for ABAP in Eclipse project. We've used it to install the SAPlink installation reports to automate the installation. Please check out the code there.

Best regards

Gregor

0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

We had looked at the traces in the communication log to determine if there is an Java API we can reuse, but these seemed to be very low-level, in the sense that we would have to handle the triggering of each individual backend call by ourselves.

Thanks a lot for the hint regarding SAPLink, we'll have a look at the way the installer is implemented there and hopefully find a more suitable approach

Best regards

Victor

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

another idea would use the API that SAPlink for AiE provides. Check the communication log when you have SAPlink for AiE installed. I've just updated the SAPlink for AiE Update Site, so you should be able to install it now also without the namespace /CEX/ as described in the Installation Guide.

Best regards

Gregor

0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

If I could pick you brain for a minute - I have been looking into downloading the source code for Web Dynpro components via the ADT services.

The url I access looks like this:

http://sap-server.net/sap/bc/adt/wdy/componentcontrollers/my_wda_comp/componentcontroller/source

That's the URL that Eclipse uses according to ABAP Communication Log, and for Eclipse this works just fine. However, when I try a GET to same URL via browser our a tool such as Postman, I always get a 404 and "No suitable resource found". From debugging, it seems that the ADS services register themselves without the "wdy" in the URL, so if I remove this in debugging it actually works. However, if I simply GET the URL without "wdy" from Postman, the ADT BADI won't resolve and it does not work.

So the question is, how the heck can this work from Eclipse and not when I do it from Postman?

(BTW, other ADT services work just fine, for instance for reports. )

Hope this made some sense and that you can help out, thanks!

Best regards.

Frank