cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to print Arabic text (using oracle NCLOB - mapped with memo) in Crystal Report 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir/ Madam,

I am facing  issue in displaying Arabic text from NCLOB (Oracle datatype - mapped with memo field in crystal report). while, if I try to show the Arabic text from Nvarchar2(Oracle Datatype - mapped with string field in crystal report) field, its works fine,

I have also used the UTF-8 encoding to show the text but not able to display. Instead of Arabic text, it show reverse question mark in report.

Could you please provide me the solution, why I am not able to show the Arabic text from NCLOB.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Anand Ghatode.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

NCLOB datatype which stores Unicode data.

NCLOB Datatype

The NCLOB datatype stores Unicode data. Both fixed-width and variable-width character sets are supported, and both use the national character set. NCLOB objects can store up to (4 gigabytes -1) * (the value of the CHUNK parameter of LOB storage) of character text data. If the tablespaces in your database are of standard block size, and if you have used the default value of the CHUNK parameter of LOB storage when creating a LOB column, then this is equivalent to (4 gigabytes - 1) * (database block size)(4 gigabytes-1) * (database block size).

NCLOB objects have full transactional support. Changes made through SQL, the DBMS_LOB package, or the OCI participate fully in the transaction. NCLOB value manipulations can be committed and rolled back. However, you cannot save an NCLOB locator in a PL/SQL or OCI variable in one transaction and then use it in another transaction or session.

Here is the steps of how to add a new font:
(Note: it's considering that customer want to install Arial Unicode font in the Web Intelligence as a custom font.)

1. Install Arial Unicode font on both Server and Client machine.
  2. After installing this font you, view that the correct font is installed on PC by checking the Control Panel > Fonts > Arial Unicode MS (True type).
  3. Install Asian language files (This must be done on all Client PC's and Windows Servers).
    a. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > double-click Regional and Language Options > click the Language tab.
    b. Click the Install files for East Asian languages option.
    c. Click the Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai) option.
    d. Click Apply > OK.
    e. Reboot is Require.
  4. To activate Unicode strings in the universe.
    a. Open the universe in Designer.
    b. Click File > Parameters > Parameter.
    c. Set UNICODE_STRINGS = Yes.
    d. Click Replace.

*******Note: Follow the Step 5 if you are using Oracle as a Datasource, else skip step***********
  5. Update the Oracle NLS_LANG variable in Windows.
    a. Click Start > Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    b. Type "regedit" in the Open: text field. Click OK. The Registry Editor appears.
    c. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE
    d. Locate the NLS_LANG variable.
    e. Set the variable to the following: NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
            NOTE- If the variable is not present we need to add it manually
    f. Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE/HOME0
    g. Locate the NLS_LANG variable and set the variable to the following: NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
  6. To activate Unicode strings in the universe.
    a.Open the universe in Designer.
    b.Click File > Parameters > Parameter.
    c.Set UNICODE_STRINGS = Yes.
    d.Click Replace.
  7. To set Unicode management to UTF-8 encoding.
    a.Open cs.cfg using a text editor such as Notepad. The file is located in <installation directory>:\Program Files\SAP Bu sinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\dataAccess\connectionServer\.
    b.Locate the <DriverDefaults> section.
    c.Locate the <Parameter Name="Unicode"> tag.
    e.Set this tag to the following: <Parameter Name="Unicode">UTF8</Parameters>.
    f. Save and close the file.
  8. Modify fontalias.xml file.

Path  Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\fonts
    Path  Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\fonts

Add the following entry for the Arial Unicode font by placing it just above the entry for the default font.

<FONT NAME=" Arial Unicode ">
    <FONTFAMILY PLATFORM="ttf" NAME=" 'Arial Unicode MS' ">
    <FONTATTRIBUTE BOLD="false" ITALIC="false" LOGICAL=" 'Arial Unicode MS' " PHYSICAL="ARIALUNI.TTF"/>
    </FONTFAMILY>
    <FONTFAMILY PLATFORM="win" NAME=" 'Arial Unicode MS' "/>
    <FONTFAMILY PLATFORM="java" NAME=" 'Arial Unicode MS' "/>   <FONTFAMILY PLATFORM="html" NAME=" 'Arial Unicode MS' "/>
  9. Modify the i18n.xml file.
    Path  Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\scripts

Add the following entry-

<font name="Arial Unicode MS">
    <os type="all">
    <Attributs style="0" filename="arialuni.ttf" encoding=""aliaspsname="Arial Unicode MS"/>
    </os>
    </font>
  10. Restart Tomcat and WebI Processing Server(s).

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

István

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Istvan

I am having the issue in showing the Arabic text in crystal report 2008.

Above mentioned steps related to fonts, I had done earlier but not working.

What is universe? I am not using this application.

I am using memo datatype in crystal report 2008 and mapped field to this is NCLOB in Oracle.

If I use string datatype in crystal report and map it with Nvarchar2 in oracle, then Arabic text is

showing properly in report.

I am using nclob as I have to display large chunk of data in report. nvarchar2 is having 4k bytes restriction so I can't use nvarchar2 in crystal report.

Thanks & Regards,

Anand Ghatode.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand

I notice you also posted the same query here:

This is against the

For critical issues, you can obtain phone support.

Please see the post I made on the above thread. If you have more questions, please continue on that thread. I will be locking this thread.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter