cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM with or without HUM for goods receipt with SSCC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I am questioning on a fundamental question for implementing WM with or without HUM in the goods receipt process.

My business requirements are:

• I will receive pallets from supplier which are already identified with SSCC number. I would like to take the benefit of it to avoid relabeling of the products and use SCCC number as pallet identification in my system. Do I need to use HU in that case or is it possible with SU external numbering? I am confused because I read only HUM is compatible with SSCC number, but all examples concerned out going processes
  • I have only one product for which I need to record a pallet number and carton sub-numbers. In that case, is HUM the only possibility to record it?
  • What are the other questions I need to answer to myself to make the right choice between both.

Thank you for advising.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olivia

You are planning to implement WM with HU or non HU at the time of goods receipt

1- In HU you can use SSCC number for Warehouse , you can activated it external or internal but what you are saying you do not want labelling because whenever its coming towards your premises , its coming with SSCC number .Yes SSCC is very well compatible with HU . In my view labelling purpose & tracking purpose HU is best .

2-See first I am saying that both are packing purpose , HU limitation beyond warehouse (such as outbound , inbound , production,shipping ) but SU you will find only in WM level .if you use HU then you have to use SU in warehouse level .

you can track with reference to SU the stocks only in warehouse , but you manage you can track every where .

3-For SU you have to do configuration = SUT & BIN Type , & assigned with each other & storage type & maintain in bin .palletization data , palletization data quantity wise system pack material with reference to SU  & system given number . but what you said external numbering SU , Manually you have to put always at time of  TO creation

internal come automatically .

4-For HU configuration will be = Packing material type .packing material groups , assigned with each other & maintain at material master & so many things . you can use HU manually also but for packing in carton , system will give HU number to carton then carton will b pack with pallet . If you will do the synchronization with HU & SU , you can see the same HU number as SU number & you can see the sub number carton in WM level .you can reuse HU number .Multiple packing purpose  HU with in HU you can pack (material within carton ,carton within pallet , pallet within container)

yes SU = Material + SUT . yes its easy not useful beyond WM

HU = Material + Packaging Material . its complex but tracking purpose best in every where .

Do the configuration for both run the transaction  , which you fill handy , that you will use for business .

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you want to track the pallet number during dispatch also ? if yes then you need HU management if no then you can go ahead with SU management

you mentioned " I need to record a pallet number and carton sub-numbers" could you please elaborate about the carton sub number-- if i understood correctly then you are talking about nested pallet or box or carton if that is so then with SU management we have provision to capture only pallet number (With external range)  but we don't have provision to capture the nested pallet / box/ carton. Nesting functionality is only available in HUM

You need to look the overall material flow / operation and make a note tracking of pallet is required at what are the steps (remember 902 - GR zone & 916- GI zone) is NON-SU managed so if you are going with SU management then during initial receipt (902) / after picking (916) you will loose the identity of pallet(SU),Tracking of pallet at this storage type is possible only with HU management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day,

HUM will handle serialized material data (serial numbers in handling units) but It is not required for simple SSCC labeling. The SU management functionality works quite well for inbound receipts, giving each new inbound pallet a unique identifier (normally packaging material type pallet). It is quite sufficient for internal stock handling and movements. The actual packing (carton level) during outbound processing can be handled in the outbound delivery in various ways including automatic packing. I see no benefit of using carton level packing during internal processes unless it is truly required to handle the serialization data associated with the stock.

If you activate HUM it cannot be activated for inbound process only. It will impact all processed in the facility including outbound. It is drastically different then SU management because HUM will impact IM level in a way that SU management does not. I suggest you very carefully research HUM vs SUM and only implement HUM if it is an absolutely mandatory business need. I stress this point  because I personally believe HUM adds additional steps during processing and I don't feel the functionality brings value if its not a technical requirement. It works perfectly well when set up properly of course but it adds complexity and addition points of possible failure.

I hope you will not believe me on these points and research/compare HUM and SUM yourself because I cannot possibly explain all the details you need to consider in this reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

You said "The SU management functionality works quite well for inbound receipts, giving each new inbound pallet a unique identifier". But my business requirement is to use external SCCC numbering provided by the supplier on their labels. So my need is not to give new internal number. Do you know if it is possible with SU management to record such a thing? How concretely? In which step or transaction?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In transaction OMLW you can define the rules for external number assignment (3 options there) but you must also define the number range allowed by SAP (external or internal). And as Mishra mentioned, yes, it is manual as in hand key or scan into SAP field during put away into WM GR area bin. For example if you are using LT06 to define the paletization data and have set your system to allow the pre-defined external number range you can enter you SU number in palatalization screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here are my settings:

OMLW/Assignment Number Ranges/Type of number assignment: 5. External Assignment

OMLW/Storage Unit Management/For Storage Unit: I have maintained a number range with "External Assigment" cross check.

During TO creation (via LT03 because I have an inbound delivery), I press putaway in foreground, I manually fill 21111111111 storage unit in the destination tab.

But error message: External assignment of numbers from an internal number range not allowed.

Internal number range is: 1000000000 to 1999999999 (10 digits)

External number range is: 21111111111 to 9999999999 (11 digits)

Do you think I'm wrong somewhere?

Or maybe it has something to do with note 14881...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Inbound deliveries, Please remove the external number range you have maintained and test again with a number that is not included in your internal number range.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, it works!

Now I have another question but a need to create another post (administrator blocked my new question)

Message was edited by: C Olivia

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.