cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbsrv11.exe exception 0xc0000005

Former Member
0 Kudos

About 2 weeks ago SQL Anywhere server start crash about up to 5 times per day.

I'm try to catch error reasons but server do not write anything in logs to start investigation.

Server startup line looks like:

-n main_server -x tcpip(port=2638) -o d:\maindb.log -os 10M -oe d:\maindb_fatal.log -c 16g -ch 16g -gn 100 -xf d:\MainDB\server1state.txt d:\MainDB\main.db -sn main -xp "partner=(ENG=mirror_server;LINKS=tcpip(host=mirror_host;PORT=2638;TIMEOUT=1));auth=auth_string; arbiter=(ENG=arbiter;LINKS=tcpip(host=arbiter_host;PORT=2640;TIMEOUT=1));preferred=YES;mode=sync;autofailover=YES" -su su_pass

But then exception 0xc0000005 occurs nothing written in maindb.log or maindb_fatal.log. Primary server just stop working and mirror server become primary. And if I don't make any interventions after few hours mirror server stops too.

After translate transaction log last record always commit and previous records always linked to a different tables.

There is no environment changes makes on the Windows servers. And nothing valuable changes makes in database.

Did someone knows how to get more info about reasons of crash?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We struggled with a similar problem a couple years ago. In our case the root cause was a bug that was triggered if we set a timeout on a JDBC query and the query took longer than the given timeout. Some sort of problem cleaning up DB resources after the timeout fired. The workaround was to extend or eliminate the timeout, which was not a great answer, but better than an outright crash. The problem is fixed in SQL Anywhere 16. I don't know if SAP ever rolled it into an EBF for version 11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for answer Jeremy.

I'm really have an JDBC connections.

For testing purposes I will change it to ODBC and makes some tests.

I hope this help because this 2 weeks makes me very nervous.

former_member244518
Participant
0 Kudos

Only jConnect JDBC connections are susceptible to this particular issue. The issue should be fixed in version 16.0.0.1817+, 12.0.1.4067+, and 11.0.1.3108+.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member244518
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

The exception you are experiencing is caused by a internal problem in the database server, and is most likely a bug.

Which version of SQL Anywhere 11 are you running? You can check this by running dbsrv11 -v . There's a chance that the issue you are encountering is resolved by an already posted service pack. The last build of SQL Anywhere 11 released was 11.0.1.3158. If possible, you should update to this version and see if the issue goes away.

Version 11 has past it's end-of-life, so no new service packs to resolve issues can be posted. However, if you have a current support contract, we can still review the crash dump file for you. It's possible there could be a workaround for the bug you're hitting.

Thanks,

Mikel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikel, thanks for answer,

First time crashes starts on version 11.0.1.2960. After this all servers (primary, mirror and arbiter) was updated to latest release 11.0.1.3158 but crashes still remains.

And unfortunately our organisation have not active support contract.

If no solution will be found to get around this bug I will initiate purchase of the support contract and then contact directly to support team.

former_member244518
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

Because version 11 is end-of-life, any support will be 'best effort'. The bug may not be resolvable without a code change (which isn't possible on 11).

Do you have any plans to move to 16 in the near future? You'll likely get a SAP support account if you purchase 16.

Is there a .DMP file located at C:\ProgramData\SQL Anywhere 11\diagnostics on the machine that's crashing?

Thanks,

Mikel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikel,

We have plans to move on 16 version but only in middle of 2016 because of budget lacks.

In C:\ProgramData\SQL Anywhere 11\diagnostics folder a lot of .dmp files located. For each crush I assume.

And one another question. Did SAP have a services for a single investigation without support contract?

former_member244518
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

We currently don't have "single incident" support options for SQL Anywhere customers.

Could you send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@sap.com?

Thanks,

Mikel

Former Member
0 Kudos

wrong forum - moved to SQL Anywhere...