cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Connect Source System Setup - ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks, I try to setup a new database as source system. TNSNAMES.ORA entry added and all done like in DEV system but right after entering the connection details and waiting for about a minute I get "System cannot be reached". When I check ST21/System Log I see ORA-12170 TNS Connect timeout occurred. I had my database admin take a look and he checked TNSNAMES.ORA in /oraclehome/    and also in the /usr/sap/...../profile/oracle look okay and he was able to connect from the database server with sqlplus and the same user (db connection details use) to the target database. So he concluded it is not a Oracle issue but an SAP issue -> wonderful especially as it is an Oracle issue as the error message suggests, right? Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks for all replies in advance, Axel PS: SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT on my SAP BW system is set to 120

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Axel,

Even though ORA-12170 is generalized error. reasons could be many,

Please check following SAP note :-

1911531 - ORA-12170 or TNS-12535 during connecting to Oracle

I hope this helps to narrow down to the root cause and solution.

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for providing the note. We check both systems in regards to those parameters and they look good. Are set to 120.

What we found out meanwhile is that the other system is not reached at all - there is no entry in the listener.log of the target DB system. So I guess the connection never get's thru.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I turned out that the SAP application servers have been using TNSNAMES.ora from

an "old" oracle directory. And not the one from the SAP profile or the current oracle home.

Could see it via ST04 -> Goto -> SQLNET -> Show TNSNAMES.ORA

Here the path from profile parameter/envornmint variable showed up and in this TNSNAMES.ORA the entry we needed was missing.

After adding entry there (as we did not wanted to bounce box to point to profile dir TNSNAMES.ORA) all worked fine.

But thanks for all the replies !

0 Kudos

Hi. How can we check which tnsnames file is the sap BODS using? I am facing the same issue of tns connection timed out on my SAP BODS system.

former_member763929
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for coming to SAP Community for answers. Please post your question as a new question here:

Since you're new in asking questions here, check out our tutorial about asking and answering questions (if you haven't already), as it provides tips for preparing questions more effectively, that draw responses from our members.

Please note, that your post here won't be answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Axel,

Guess your BW is not at the same box with your DB?

In this case, ask your DBA to check if he can connect the DB from your BW's app server (not from DB server, it always work....).

Regards

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well. Is it not that the SAP App Server will talk to SAP / Oracle DB server and the DB server will talk to the external DB server? So connectivity from SAP/Oracle DB server to the external one need to be checked, or?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Axel,

Sound like you have a complex landscape but it doesn't really matter.

I think the point here is your DBA doing the test from the database server.

As long as your SAP application server is not also reside in database server, this test mean nothing at all.

It is like you cannot connect to my server and I tell you I can connect from my desktop with no problem... what's the point about it?

When you setup SAP connection, it is connect from the app server, not your workstation or database server or the target server, so... make sure it can connect from your app server first, as you will not able to connect from SAP if you cannot connect with Oracle tools.

Regards

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply. I got your point now. I will try to connect oracle wise from the app server to the DB target server.

Best regards,

Axel