cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from ASE SBE to ASE Adge

Former Member
0 Kudos

On this site anonced

Is this mean than it's replaces old SBE, so if I get SBE license & support I can get Edge license?

On another document  http://www.sap.com/bin/sapcom/en_us/downloadasset.2012-08-aug-13-07.sap-sybase-adaptive-server-enter...

- the same info - REPLACE, not extend/enlarge?

or this info is correct? (reseller answer)

ASE SBE does not change ASE Edge Edition. This is a separate line item and revision in the price list.

ASE SBE has not stopped its existence (not END of Life) - supported and sold.

Driving license from ASE SBE and Edge is different.

The word "replaces" in the news on the forum should be understood as "continuing".

Best regards,

Viktor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

They way I read this, Edge replaces SBE and SBE will no longer be available (in the future).

Edge lets you use only 4 cores instead of 8 for SBE (Edge boasts unlimited "CPU chip" count, but that's useless/irrelevant if only 4 cores total are allowed per host)

And although Edge allows unlimited database size, in practice, larger databases need will need to use a few cores for running backups.  So if you need 2 stripes to get good dump throughput, that will use up 2 cores, and the dataserver will be effectively limited to remaining 2 cores (ie., 4 cores minus the number of dump stripes)

So Edge is really for smaller applications than SBE.   But there all the extra security, encryption, and partitioning features available in Edge.