cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom table Vs ODS for storing Order details

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,
I have a requirement from business to develop an interface from a Legacy Sytem to APO. The PReqs (Material, Source, Destination, Date, Quantity etc) will be sent from Legacy system which should be stored in a table or ODS or a Cube. This data should then be processed to create PReqs in APO.

The no of records per load will be around 70,000 (no of orders). I am in a dilemma whether to use a Custom table to store the data or to go for a ODS/Infocube.

Please let me know your thoughts on advantages and disadvantages of storing the data in ODS/Z Table.

Regards,

Explore APO

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Agree 100% w/ Rahul... go the ODS/Cube route.  You'll be able to leverage all the infrastructure and data manipulation (ETL) tools available within the BI side of things, plus, if you need to load that legacy data to the planning area or create CVCs you have that ability using standard functionality.

As an aside... creating a custom DSO is like creating a custom table(s) anyway (BI is essentially a code generator) and will create a new table in the database layer based on your definition upon activation.  Once you activate it... try looking for the generated tables in se16 using your DSO technical name and wild cards to see what I mean

RahulHanda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Avoid custom (Z-tables) as much as possible until unless you don't have any work around. When standard functionality is available which is for this purpose only that is to pull data from different sources and use the same in your planning then why not to use it. In this case you can always have SAP support if there is any issue but for Z-table there is no support being custom development. Whatever is your requirement try to fulfill the same with standard and use ODS/Info Cube in this case.

Regards

Rahul