cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for Java 7.40 PL3: Rendering issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I updated to SAP GUI for Java pl 3. I previously used pl 1. There are some artifacts and "corruptions" of buttons, input fields and also the scroll bar. Has anybody else seen this?

I am using it on Ubuntu 14.04:

SAP GUI for Java 7.40 rev 3

(Version ID 074000040300)

2015-06-30 08:03:55 +0200

ldm049, 740_REL, 1590727

Java VM: Oracle Corporation Version 1.8.0_45

Best regards

Willem Brown

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Any update here? I opened an incident as well and at the moment there does not seem to be a solution or any test packages to install and try.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Brian,

I have added an update to my previous post.

I could not find your support message, either post the number here or use the "Send direct message" link in my profile.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update! The incident is 595459 but it is closed now.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Willem,

In SAP GUI for Java 7.40 rev 3 the API used to draw scaled images have been changed for performance reasons.

Unfortunately, the result rendering some of the images seems to be incorrect on particular configurations/environments.

We have seen this in Fedora 22 (which is therefore not yet supported), you are showing screenshots of similar issues on Ubuntu 14.04.

We are still investigating this, but it might be related to "Nouveau", an open source driver for NVIDIA graphics cards. There are various known issues with Java using that Nouveau driver leading even to crashes.

Could you please double check, if your machine has a NVIDIA graphics card and your Linux is set to use the Nouveau driver? In this case, you might want to consider to use a proprietary NVIDIA driver instead.

In case you are not really open to tinker around in the internals of your Linux installation, you might want to use SAP GUI for Java 7.40 rev 2, which still uses some slower, but in this case less problematic rendering API.

I hope there will be a different solution than only to revert back to use the slow API, because the performance difference is not only about a few percent but factors on some platforms.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Update:

It seems we have found a workaround without those artefacts with comparable performance to the call used in 7.30 rev 3.

We are currently testing this on our internal systems and if it is working fine, we would like to provide a test version also to those, who have seen such issues in their particular environment.

henryritzlmayr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

just want to let you know that this is not only on Fedora 22/Ubuntu 14.04 and not only on Nouveau.

We have those rendering issues also on Fedora 21 (fully updated) using the latest NVIDIA

drivers.

740 rev 2 works on those systems as intended.

Best Regards

Henry

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Same issue for me on Fedora 21 x86_64 and I have Intel HD Graphics 4000. Perhaps this is an issue to be addressed with Oracle and its JVM?

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Any update here? Would be glad to test a workaround version.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

in the meantime we have isolated the issue to a simple sample, which will be submitted as a bug report to Oracle.

Since neither switching back to the previously used much slower API nor waiting for Oracle to fix the issue are really great options, we were looking to implement a solution which is almost as fast as before, but does not result in artefacts, which was not really trivial.

We have been able to verify this implementation on Fedora 22, Ubuntu 14.04, and OS X 10.10 on a MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon.

For the other environments, it would be helpful if you could verify our patch, since we do not have the exact same combination of components.

To get this new version, please create an incident on component BC-FES-JAV with a title like “Rendering issues with SAP GUI for Java 7.40 rev 3” and provide a screenshot and some information about your environment.

We will then tell you where to download a test version to verify, if the artefacts are gone also in your setup.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Update: In the meantime, the official version SAP GUI for Java 7.40 rev 4 is available.