Report accessing wrong data table
Running CR Server 2013 BO4.1...
I had an occurrence today where a report that has been 'working OK' for weeks that, all of a sudden, a dynamic parameter decided it wanted to access a completely different table (it was a selection for supplier code & started returning scrap analysis codes).
I opened the master copy in Crystal Developer & it seemed fine, re-deployed to the server & it was still broken, Opened the report in Dev. again, ran the 'Verify Database' which told me it needed to update the Supplier table, which broke it in Dev. I started from scratch with the original master copy & now it works again.
Has anyone experienced this & is there a known cause?
Dell Stinnett-Christy replied
What you need to do is look at the parameter in the report to determine which ReportParameter from the BVM it's using. You would then work backward from the ReportParameter, to the LOV. By default, the data foundation is the name of the LOV + "_DF".
When you're just creating the parameters in your reports, you get a proliferation of objects in the BVM - each prompt will have a corresponding Data Connection ("_DC"), Data Foundation ("_DF"), Business View("_BV"), Business Element ("_BE"), LOV (no suffix), and possibly Report Parameter. Best practice is to create the LOV for your dynamic parameters in the BVM in the first place - that way you can create a single Data Connection for all of your params that use the same database. You'll also create the SQL in the Data Foundation to just pull the lookup values instead of using the full SQL for your report to get them. You can then create a single set of objects for each parameter that can be reused in your reports as needed.