cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Catalog display different information to recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I need to recovery a SAP Hana. I am using the option "recovery the database to its most recent state".

The overview of the backups is displayed and I choose the backup started on 2015-06-29. The information about the available backups retrieved from backup catalog display daily backups between June 20 and 29. We are using third-party backup tool (NetBackup).

The recovery was cancelled manually because the progress in phase 2 remain in 0 after of several minutes.

I try to recovery it again in different but compatible target database (same version, target system configuration, etc) but the overview of the available backups display daily backups between June 20 and 27. I lost the most recent backups started on June 29 and June 28.

If This information is retrieved from the backup catalog, why the available backups to recovery are different?  An error in recovery process change the backup catalog information?

Thanks in advance for yuor help, is very important to us understand the reason why we lost the option to recovery the most recent backups.

Regards,

Osmany Martínez

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Osmany Martinez,

Can you please confirm the HANA version being used?

1. Going by your comments on the recovery of the 2015-06-29 backup it appears that the Phase 1 of the recovery to complete the Index/NameServer/XSengine files was completed and the Phase 2 of starting the HANA system post recovery was taking a long time

Have you been able to look at the Diagnostic section for backup.log and backint.log to check if there are any errors logged during Phase 2 of the recovery? You may have some clues as to why the phase 2 is taking a long time from these logs

2. Based on the version of HANA BACKINT tool may nor may not be used to recover the backup from one Source HANA system to another target HANA system

If you are not on SPS09 it is highly possible that the recovery of BACKINT based backups from one source to another target system may not work, so the recommendation would be to try and recover the HANA system on the same source HANA instance

Hope this helps

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunel

I explain you our scenario:

The server1 going to crash down due to hardware problem. In the server1 we have the system xxx.

we have a server2, we install here a new system xxx and change the hostname to server1.

We try to recovery the database in server2 with backup started on 2015-06-29 but the recovery was cancelled manually because the progress in phase 2 remain in 0 after of several minutes and because our harware partner startup the server1.

We turn off the server2.

In The server1 our hardware partner recovery the /sapmnt filesystem  with the backup done on 2015-06-27 and after I recovery the database but the overview of the available backups display daily backups between June 20 and 27. I lost the most recent backups started on June 29 and June 28.

The recovery in the server1 was succesfully, the system xxx is available now.

We don't understand the reason why we lost the option to recovery the most recent backup in server1.

If the backup catalogs are found in the third-party backup tool, why we lost the started on June 29 and June 28?  Is a coincidence with /sapmnt recovery date?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Osmany Martínez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understand the scenario now...

It is clear why you do not see any more information about the June 29 and June 28 backups when you restore the backup from June 27

The backup catalog is stored in the data volume of the NAME SERVER(based on the HANA Administration guide) and not on the third party backup tool.

As the NAME SERVER data volume is recovered part from the June 27 backup you are unable to find any more data after this data in the backup catalog

Hope this helps

Sunil