cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Filter by Input String for a Range

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm in the Edit Initial View of the Data Source screen and want to use the Filter by Input String to limit the values for a dimension. I have figured out how to code it for a single value, multiple values, and to exclude single or multiple values. I can't seem to figure out how to include or exclude a range of values. So keeping it simple, say I want to limit the dimension City (which has many values) to return the range of Miami to Orlando. Is there any way to do this using the Filter by Input String?

Note: I do know there are other ways of accomplishing this, but I specifically want to know if it can be done with the Filter by Input String function.

I'm using version 1.5

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi William,

Please find the below table to find out how to Filter by Input String function.

I have used "0CALMONTH" as example.

Hopes this will helps you.

Babu

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

regarding to this topic may I have a question about the performance?

when the filter is set for a dimension in the initial view, what is the data loading process?

variant 1: first all data content from this data source is loaded, then filtered to specific values.

variant 2: only filtered values are loaded.

which variant is the corresponding loading process? Is there any difference between loading the data source directly and loading the data source in script?

best regards,

Zhijian

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zhijian,

Since this is a separate topic, please post it as a new question on the SCN.

Regards,

Mustafa.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi William,

To include a range of values, separating the minimum and maximum in the range with a hyphen worked for me as shown below:

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mustafa and Babu - this is now working!

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi William,

Sorry, I was too quick to read your original question and now see that you want to include or exclude ranges rather than individual values.  I'll have to look into that to see if it's possible.  In the meantime, I'd be interested to know the notation you worked out for excluding individual values.

Thanks,

Mustafa.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi William,

I had the same experience when I first tried this and with some trial and error worked out that the filter values need to be separated by a semicolon as shown below:

I haven't found a way to exclude values though.  I think with the input string you can only include values.

Hope that helps,

Mustafa.