Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CT04 - how to use catalog list of values as check process

benjamin_paul4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

My needs are about the cross-app component CA-CL.

Basically I need to create several characteristics with the same list of values to classify materials. I am looking forward to find the best practice to maintain the list of values.

I have heard that a dependency between characteristics could be possible but I am not sure how to handle this and I do not like too much dependencies.

Otherwise, I have the option to use the "value check", here SAP standard offers 3 options:

• a check table
  • a function module
  • Catalog characteristics

I would like to check the option "catalog characteristics" but I cannot access this option in the radio button. Could you please help me to find how to allow this option ?

Best regards,

Benjamin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Benjamin Paul,

Didn't understand your question completely.

When you say same value for all characteristic , can you explain business need too?

Also , do you have only numeric characteristics or you also have characteristics which uses characters...?

I would like to check the option "catalog characteristics" but I cannot access this option in the radio button. Could you please help me to find how to allow this option ?

To select catalog characteristic radio button, follow below steps.

• Create new characteristic in CT04,

• Input description and data type numeric with length 15

• Go to values tab , click on additional values and you will get pop

• select radio button " catalog characteristics"

• you will get new pop up to select catalog.

Check and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

benjamin_paul4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

I have experienced a strange thing. I was seeing the option catalog but I could not select it (grey). Then I have tried to play a bit with catalog list, and when I have tried again on a new characteristic, I could this time select this option.

The business needs is a bit odd, they need a material containing up to 5 rings for which the material code has to be specified. They do not want to use a BOM because it is just "QUOT" material.

So if I follow the requirement, I will have up to 5 characteristics in the same class containing the same list of values. Again my question is how to maintain such list of values in the most simple way ?

- catalog ?

- database table ?

- ... ?

I was hoping for a kind of hierarchy inside charcateristics but I did not find such feature...

Thanks for you help.

Benjamin

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Benjamin Paul,

Can you explain some more when you say

The business needs is a bit odd, they need a material containing up to 5 rings for which the material code has to be specified.

I am sure when you say 5 charactertsic , it will have 5 different value type otherwise just one multi-value characterstic can hold 5 values for you, Please specify how this value are going to use for the product and I may give you further suggestion.

Please check and reply, also please mark replies helpful if it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

benjamin_paul4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

A multiple list of values is not possible as the order of rings is important. Dummy example:

I have a finish product assemble with:

1. Aluminium ring
  2. Steel ring
  3. Iron ring
  4. Aluminium ring
  5. Plastic ring

During the commercial phase, the BOM will not be created, so the finish product has to contain this information.

Let me give you the whole landscape:

- I have about 50 different classes using the characteristic CH_MATERIAL_CODE

- the default list of values is overwritted in every classes

- it is only open list of values

- A lot of products like the one I have described use up to 5 times this characteristic (so with different names)

I need to standardize the list of values and close the list (no additionnal values allowed).

If you have suggestions how to do that as smooth as possible, would be great.

BG,

Benjamin

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Benjamin Paul,

With the example above , i dont think you have very large or complex  set of data to be managed.

Catalog characterstic sounds more appropitae to be used in quality characterstic as catalogs belongs to QM module, nad created there only.

I just go with values defined at characterstic level , do not use check mark for use additonal value and you will have set resticted to values at characterstic values, create one characterstic and copy it to create others to make sure all 5 have same value set.

Check and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

benjamin_paul4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

ok thanks for the suggestion. Of course that does mean that a new value has to be maintained in the 5 characteristics...

Benjamin

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, as soon as you come up with new value you need to maintain it in all the characterstic sepratly.

Otherwise go with Catalouge option, so that you can add values in catlouge and will be available in all the 5 at once.

Thanks

Ritesh