cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use Workflow with POWL FITV_POWL_TRIPSFORAPPROVAL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have gone through a number of threads and article and would appreciate if someone can provide some inputs and confirm my understanding.

Since the POWL for Travel Management approval "FITV_POWL_APPROVER" does not use workflow and the Approval process is handled by the implementing Feeder Class, does this mean that we just CANNOT use Workflow if we want to use this POWL.

I know as per SPRO Inbox configuration (Inbox (CA-EPT-IBO)) we can make POWL accept the Workflow Tasks as explained in the below SAP Help links.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_aii710/helpdata/en/4f/ccfd406e2047adb4287822d8daae28/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_aii710/helpdata/en/3e/c962ad1a4646d68fac2e20bd119522/frameset.htm

But is it true that using the above SPRO configuration mentioned in the links above only custom tasks can be made to appear in the POWL. Infact we have used the guidelines above to configure POWL for EHS component to accept Workflow tasks and act like SBWP.

But that is for a totally different application.

My query is:

Is it possible to make the POWL FITV_POWL_TRIPSFORAPPROVAL accept Workflow tasks from a custom workflow we have configured for Travel Request and Expenses?

If it is not possible to achieve this and this POWL will work on its own way to approve the request/expenses, does this mean we cannot use NWBC if we have custom workflow?

As in that case the only otion would be to use UWL and to use Portal?

Thanks in advance for confirming my understanding.

Regards

Sundeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

Siegfried has already said most of what can be said. I'd like to add my 2 cents nevertheless:

In short: No, you cannot use FITV_POWL_APPROVER if you want to use the event-based workflow solution via Bus2089 in standard. You might be able to enhance the feeder class and somehow merge open workitems into the POWL, but that would require quite some effort.

We also had that discussion already about 3 years ago and I'm afraid nothing has changed since then:

This indirectly means that if an organization has been using a workflow for their trips approval process they will have to use Portal (UWL) or GUI (SBWP) and cannot use NWBC.

That is not entirely true. You'd still have the option of using the POWL Lean Workflow Inbox. You might want to check out this blog from the herself:

Also check out the following doc for even more options (in case you are running HANA Montana):

Cheers, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lukas and Sigi for your responses...

It seems even though we cannot use the FITV_POWL_APPROVER to meet the workflow requirement but we can use the generic POWL inbox "IBO_WDA_INBOX" to get workflow items in a POWL based application.

This DOC by explains in a very good way how we can have a POWL which works like a UWL and hence use NWBC for workflow related scenarios.

Closing the thread.

Regards

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep

I also implement Travel Management with NWBC. And I have to build up 2 level approval process for trip approval, so I decided to use workflow and POWL inbox "IBO_WDA_INBOX" to get workflow items.

So far, so good, but...There is one thing more: the customer wants the trip form to be shown for approver for his decision and the POWL inbox shows only some details about trip. In oposit to FITV_POWL_APPROVER there is no link to trip form in IBO_WDA_INBOX.

Question: is it possible to meet this reqiurement with customization or only with enhencment of POWL-Feeder an WDA itself?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Zdzislaw

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

from my understanding, no you cannot use the POWL as "work item inbox".

At the end a POWL is a report to show up trips from your defined selection criteria.

A workflow item has nothing to do with this.

I'm not in the details what is the best is to run custom workflows in NWBC. But if you do not get here more answers I recommend to open a discussion in the area of workflows.

Best regards, Sigi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sigi for your response.

My query pertains more to the POWL available for Trips Approval and not to workflow.

I would disagree that POWL is just a report. As per the SAP help links provided POWL can be used for Approval procedures too and can act like UWL (of the portal).

If it is true that we cannot use workflow with the standard POWL for Travel and Expense Approval then this is a huge limitation in using NWBC for Travel Management solution, as most of the clients do have a workflow associated with trips approval process (standard or custom).

This indirectly means that if an organization has been using a workflow for their trips approval process they will have to use Portal (UWL) or GUI (SBWP) and cannot use NWBC.

Regards

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

as I have said I don't now what is the best option for custom workflows running in NWBC.

Maybe you create your own WebDynpro for it and send the decision task via e-mail?

The workflow is a framework with some examples. At the end there is no "standard" for Travel Management. Maybe it is a good question to SAP(?) To ask them what is best to use for NWBC.

I guess best discussions about this you will find here:

All the best, Sigi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sigi for your reply.

Lets forget about custom workflows.

We have SAP standard workflows for Travel and Expense which are used if we use the Travel Management solution within GUI (transaction TRIP etc.). If I am not wrong the same standard workflows were used by the Web Dynpro Java solution we had earlier.

The standard workflows are:

WS20000050 is for Travel Request

WS20000040 is for expense report.

I am just wondering why would SAP do away with usage of workflow in their standard POWL solution which is meant to replace the WD Java solution.

Appreciate your inputs on my thread. I will wait for some more replies before I can conclude that the POWL for Trips approval cannot be made to use workflows.

Best Regards

Sundeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sundeep,

from my understanding the "workflow POWL" is an additional possibility to work with approvals without running "a real workflow".

But coming back - it is an addition for WebDynpro for ABAP. No replacement etc.

From my opinion this POWL is not so useful. At least for my customers no one has implemented this solution.

Bet regards, Sigi