Jones Seenivasan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the link provided (SAP on Oracle development update) do not answer the question

What kind of "export" are you talking about.

SAP "export" (R3LOAD)? yes, you can use heterogeneous system copies to upgrade the database.

Oracle "export" (DPUMP)? yes, your DB should be smaller so it does not takes for ever but it will not be supported by SAP, so you are on your own if you try that.

Note 1915302  - Database Software 12.1.0.2 Installation on Windows has information on the installation of the software, but you should also look at the upgrade guide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Fidel,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I was mentioned about R3Load export method. can i take export of EHP3 ECC6.0 on oracle 10g and same can be imported into oracle12c?

do you find any note for the same?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jones Seenivasan.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

That is considered an "Heterogeneus System Copy". the R3LOAD dump is DB independent, you can import it on 12c or DB2 or ...

Unfortunately there are "conditions", an heterogeneous system copy has to be performed by a certified consultant (if support is required)

You can see the following notes:

547314 FAQ: System Copy procedure

82478 SAP System OS/DB Migration

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

>>That is considered an "Heterogeneus System Copy". the R3LOAD dump is DB independent, you can import it on 12c or DB2 or ...<<

If there is no change in the OS and DB then it is not a "Heterogeneous" system copy. R3load method can be used for "Homogeneous" system copies as well.

To move from Oracle 11 to 12 can be achieved by doing an R3load (export and import) system copy if you don't want to upgrade the database on the source system.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

you are "partially" correct.

It is not strictly "heterogeneous", but he wants to change the DB version and the "backup/restore" (typical homogeneous) cannot do that (or things get complicated).

I did not know (remember) the "homogeneous"  could be done with R3LOAD, thanks

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

"R3load" and "Backup/Restore" methods are used for Homogeneous system copies. In places where you cannot use "Backup/Restore" strategy (The scenario mentioned above is one example) you will be left with R3load option and you do not need a certified consultant for that.

Answers (0)