cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new to ASE Sybase...can somebody tell me what is a proxy table, how is it created and why is it used ?

Former Member

I'm new to ASE Sybase...can somebody tell me what is a proxy table, how is it created and why is it used ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Jubin,

Your best bet to learn abt ASE is through ASE online documentation.

Proxy tables are used in (Component Integration Services)CIS functionality.

Here is a link to CIS. You can choose the section in the documentation understanding Component Integration Services for your related ASE version.

Proxy tables are the key to location transparency. A proxy table is a
local table containing metadata which points to a remote object. For information about
remote objects, see
“Object types”.

The remote table is mapped to the proxy table to make it appear as if it were a local table.

The complete description of how to do this is in Chapter 3, “SQL Reference.”

Hope this helps!

-Gek

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

An alternative simplified explanation:

Proxy tables are a way to make a table on a completely different server appear to users as if it were a local table.  When a user uses a proxy table in a query, ASE opens a connection to the remote server, selects the necessary remote data, and then uses that data locally to complete the query. Proxy tables can also be created against a remote procedure so that the output of the procedure can be accessed like a table, or created against local file so that the file contents can be accessed like a table.

-bret

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Analogy of NFS (network file system ) comes to mind while explaining proxy tables in ASE.

A network file system allows you to access a folder from another host as if it was a local folder.

Similarly a proxy table  ( -- typically -- ) resides within another ASE instance.

With proper access control and proxy table definition data in a proxy table can be accessed as if it was a local table.

This allows you to extend a cross database query to even  higher cross-server level.

For setting up of proxy tables see the on-line documentation.

Briefly you will need

- server level set-up (CIS related configuration)

- user access control (to allow login from one server access data from another)

- proxy table definitions to map columns across

HTH

Avinash