Did you mean: 

BRTOOLS ORACLE backup suddenly running very slowly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Platform:

Database: ORACLE 11g

SAP Application: SAP BW - mid-upgrade from 7.00 to 7.40

SAP KERNEL: 742_REL | OCI_112, 742.06, SLES-11 x86_64, Non-Unicode, patch 101

BRTOOLS version: BR0651I BRTOOLS 7.40 (15)

Issue:

Very simply - backups usually run reliably for around 4 hours. This one was kicked off at 09:44 and looks like it will run to midnight. I.e. for over 14 hours. So there is a very sudden increase of 350% in backup runtime.

Could it be related to the upgrade?
We're at the end-of-downtime stop point where it recommends you take a backup....

Anyone seen similar issues on a similar platform?

Cheers; Jamie / doonan_79

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

NB this is a straight to disk BRTOOLS backup of ORACLE on Linux - no 3rd party tool integration in this phase

Zoltán
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Did you solve the problem?
Did you try old/before upgrade BRTOOLS ?

Thanks!

Zoltán

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Backup doesn't have any issues with your upgrade. with regards to your query are you running upgrade and backup simultaneously  or is it offline backup ?

What tool are you using during backup ?

Cheers

Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepanshu - Upgrade was paused for backup (as SUM suggests)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not much we can say without info... are you doing a backup to disk?. to a 3rd party?...

Backup speed should not be related to the upgrade as is strictly a database tool.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Juan,

I have been wondering though if it may be backup up the shadow instance of if the upgrade has added a lot more tables at this stage. Something related to the upgrade has affected backup speed unless there is a mighty strange coincidence with something else going on.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Ok, so you are in the middle of an upgrade... simple check the size of your database, also oracle will backup the datafiles full size even if they are empty.

Regards, Juan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If the SAP kernel and BR*Tools are on 7.4x version then I believe the upgrade is done.

Also make sure the tablespace(s) used by the previous release is/are dropped.

I would put the old BR*Tools and try to take a backup and see if the backup works fine.

If the backup is taking same amount of time then check what is happening at the backup server.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Additional to that, the upgrade would have created a set of tablespaces that will be dropped once the upgrade is completed. I believe this is the backup before the execution phase so its normal it take additional time. 

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Juan; nope. Post execution. Pre post processing.