cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation of column count in BO?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am unable to access a field of a table in a pervasive db with help of Information Design Tool.

The field is not even shown in the list of tables.

The issue might be that this table includes more then 280 fields/columns. Do you know if this is a limitation of IDT or would there be a work around for this?

Btw: we are using BO 4.1

thanks and best regards

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It maybe that the field is of a data type not liked by BusinessObjects.

The varchar(max) fields in a SQL Server database never showed up in BOXI3 (not checked if they are still a problem in BO4). The workaround that I used was to create a view that took table.varcharmaxcol and changed it to left(table.varcharmaxcol,8000) in the view's SQL statement. This may help you for now if you have database access. If not, you may need to temporarily use a derived table to effect he same unitl you find a more robust solution.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mark

Thank you for your suggestions.

The workaround with an additional view might work. I thought about it as well but I would like to prevent using views if possible because they are hard to maintain.

I created a derived table with the left() function, but it doesn't work due to "invalid column name".

It looks like the column is not existing in the table although it is.

I might consider the idea with the view. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks for your help

best regars Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Invalid column name?

For that column, and I presume it's the one with the left functionality, you must declare a one word name, for example:

left(table.col,8000) as ColFirst8000

If that's the workaround then longer term you can push it back to the database - maintaining a view is easy with modern DB management tools as you can carry out impact analysis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

I was not sure if there was an issue with the underscore in front of the column name so I tried to select it with and without "".

I expect that the second one should be correct.

Error message Pops up during Validation check.

any advice?

BR

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure what the << ??? >> bit is but it looks wrong!

I'm guessing _ is a wildcard which Pervasive won't like.

In SQL Server, you'd use square brackets around the column or table name, on other databases, you'd use double quotes, so table."_col" or table.[_col] for example.

Give those options a try first

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Mark, I tried both options whereby [] leads to <<???>>. Using "" leads to invalid column name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what is the actual table and column name that you're trying to query?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Table: ORDE_ADO

Column: _USERFIELD59

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, based on that, I'd expect this to work:

SELECT

COL1,

LEFT("_USERFIELD59",8000) AS "USERFIELD598000",

COL3,

COL4