Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

The time has finally come.

All
To upgrade from Sybase IQ/15.4.0.3027/130221/P/ESD 3 (or maybe 5) to IQ 16 SP08 PL32.

I've dbcc'd the 15.4 server nightly without any errors.

I've made a parallel copy of the existing binaries (there's a sym link /opt/sybase/IQ_15_ESD3 -> SYBASE) and installed the IQ 16 install over the top of them, updated the host license, just about ready to flip the sym link to temp check the licensing.

Is there a link to the final SAP approved set of pre / post installation tasks I'll need to do later in the week.

It's quite a small server, rebuilding all the indexes won't be an issue, in fact even reloading all the base tables isn't an issue.

replied

There are different paths if you are upgrading an existing 15.x to IQ 16 (migration) vs. a new installation and if you are upgrading a multiplex or simplex, but a migration is not really that different from a full install.

The 'SAP-approved' tasks are fully documented in the manuals at help.sap.com/iq:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_iq1608_iqmig_lin/helpdata/en/46/0c15735607471d891d1ccbea150ddb/content.htm?frameset=/en/a8/8cb5ae84f210158632dabe4df1f2d4/frameset.htm&current_toc=/en/a8/8cb5ae84f210158632dabe4df1f2d4/plain.htm&node_id=9&show_children=false

Other than always taking a backup before upgrading, the upgrade is done 'in-place', but there are some steps you must take, as documented, before the upgrade.

After the upgrade, even though you will eventually run the 'alter database upgrade' command, the database will remain in 'IQ 15 compatibility mode', until you choose to move forward with the IQ 16 capabilities.  This is also documented in the 'Database Status Post Upgrade' section of the docs.

You will have to adjust memory settings in the .cfg file.  IQ 16 adds some new memory areas (-iqlm, -iqrlv) and once you decide to run fully as IQ 16 (e.g. turn off FP_NBIT_IQ15_COMPATIBILITY and REVERT_TO_V15_OPTIMIZER) you will have to run sp_iqrebuildindex to rebuild FP indexes to take advantage of the nbitFP indexes.

Chris

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question