cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 sapgui installation servers (7.30 and 7.40) on one machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have currently one installation server in place for distributing Sapgui 7.30.

For the new sapgui 7.40 I don't want to set up the installation server on a new hardware, instead I would like to place it on the same machine with the sapgui 7.30 installation server.

Is that a supported configuration?

Could there be any interferences between the two installations (e.g. the distribution services)?

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments!

best regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

This will work as long as you are not using the Distribution Service to support installations where users do not have local administrator rights to their own workstations. You can only have one Distribution Service on one machine, so if you use this feature, then you need to keep your installation servers separate.

I used to have multiple versions of an installation server (6.40, 7.10, and 7.20) on a single system, and it caused me a number of headaches. Today I don't do that anymore. Instead I have four installation servers, in a Sandbox, Development, Quality Assurance, and Production type of setup. My Basis team (2 people, including me) uses the SBX installation server, the rest of the SAP Support team use the DEV one, our test group (power users, and such) are in the QAS one, and then the vast bulk of end users are all on the PRD setup. This allows me to roll out out patches and upgrades in a controlled and tested manner, and also to use central configuration files that are customized for the different groups (regular end users don't get SAPLogon entries for DEV, for instance).

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

many thanks for sharing your experience, you confirmed my concerns regarding the distribution services.

Furthermore it is really a brilliant idea to setup different installation servers for different user groups.

I think I will implement an installation server landscape similar to yours.

Have a good day!

Andreas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

It should work as long as they have separate paths - eg: F:\740_GUI,  F:\730_GUI, etc.

Jude