cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts one sending and receiving mail via SMTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am configuring sending and receiving of mail from sap via SMTP.

I have a few doubts:

1.is there any place in the system the mail is save to? Which location of folder in system should I monitor if there will be a increase in file when I activate it.

2.I have around 55 users who will need to access this, how will it impact my system

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

Can kindly explain what you mean by having two SMTP server on the same port?

Maybe let me explain my previous question in more detail:

in my my sap profile in \user\sap\sid\sys\profile\sid_DVEBMG00_abc,

there is already an entry icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=8000,EXBIND=1,

hence that was the reason I tried to add a new entry icm/server_port_1 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25 instead of icm/server_port_0 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25.

The first entry icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=8000,EXBIND=1 ==> I believe is for my web server.

So right now, I am curious -

1. why by adding "icm/server_port_1 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25" does not work but "icm/server_port_0 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25" will work instead.

2. As there is two entry of icm/server_port_0 will there cause any conflict or slowness in network etc?

Former Member
0 Kudos

yah you are correct, i think by entering Ip address or FQDN ?

I realised that in my sap profile in \user\sap\sid\sys\profile\sid_DVEBMG00_abc,

I need to have the entry icm/server_port_0 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25

I tried to change the entry to icm/server_port_1 = PROT=SMTP,PORT=25, but it will not work.

Does any one can explain to me why? Is there some port blocking??

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can't have two SMTP servers on the same port. Choose another port.

Why do you need two?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have already configured it. As the mail server is not the same domain of my sap box, I need to key in the IP address instead of the server name in sap scot.

Out of curious, can these kind of system configuration (mail server setting) transfer from development to QA server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use FQDN or ip - the domain makes no difference. (it could be notes running on an AS400, in which case its not even windows)

System settings needs to be set per system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the guideline.

Actually, I have try configure sending out mail in my solution manager with sap 6.2 on w2k3.

I have configured as per sap note 455140.

But when I tried to send out mail, I receive the error in transmission log book:

"Address does not exist."

I am very sure that the email address i send to is valid.

Any one encounter this error b4? Kindly help

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Address does not exist"

Happens when the email address in Su01 does not match an email address on the relay server. Match the email address and it will work.

ie The sending server (exchange/notes) is declining to forward the email being sent by SAPs SMTP server because it doesnt have a mailbox by that name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

WEBAS can only send emails by using a full mail system to act as relay on its behalf ie Exchange or notes.

Number of users is not really a concern, volumes are. Since you need a full email system why dont you set the reply address to be the users 'real' mail address and keep it out of SAP.

Transaction SBWP is used for email (users) SCOT for system management. The SMTP node records usage so you can get an idea of how much data is being used.

Report RSSOAPUT can be used for the archiving of documents

For deleting or reorg use RSCBCSRE03 report. Depending on the volume of data and release level, you must also start the RSSORE00