Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail: process to start index server

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

while starting Hana DB we are facing issue in index server starting.we have deleted log file because storage issue , after this we are facing this starting issue, we are try to create dummy log file, please le me know how to create dummy log file and where.  please let know is there any way to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Jana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

I don't know which error you actually got and in general it is not advised to create dummy log files. Instead you should better restore the correct log files from backup or copy them back from the temporary location to the original location. In exceptional cases you can create empty log files using touch, see e.g. SAP Note 1788692. You just have to be aware that a recovery across this empty log file will be no longer possible and so you need to have a good backup afterwards.

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Thanks you for the response.

I have Martin,already i have checked that note, but  i am not getting what was the format for log file and how many i need to create for getting up hana DB and where is the location for creating log files.

Thanks

Jana

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

1. Check the HANA trace files in the following location /usr/sap/<SID>/HDB<instance#>/<server name>/trace.

2. Kindly refer the SAP KBA for Dump collection:

1732157 - Collecting diagnosis information for SAP HANA

Regards.

SS.

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Thank you for your response.

I have cross verified all traces. but still i am not able to get anything form trace file. we have deleted all log and data files from backup directory. so that we are unable to start HANA DB, for this we need to create dummy log and backup files for HANA DB starting.

Please guide for for this.

Thanks

Jana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Janardhan,

I believe you have handled the log in unexpected way. According to my understanding you used the touch command to create the missed logs. Am i correct on this ?

what is the correct situation of the HANA Db ? Is it up & running ?

or

do you still face the issue?

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

Without any error message we many not help you, You have to find the error message while starting the HANA DB. Kindly refer the SCN Wiki link for troubleshooting guide :

SAP HANA and In-Memory Computing Troubleshooting Guide - Technology Troubleshooting Guide - SCN Wiki

Regards

SS

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Yes, i am trying to created dummy log files using command, but no luck.

Correctly we are not able to start HANA DB, while starting HANA i ma getting issue like

FAIL: procee hdbindexserver HDB Indexserver not running.

Thanks

Jana

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Sriram,

Already i have mentioned that i got error like FAIL: procee hdbindexserver HDB Indexserver not running while starting HANA DB. please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Jana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Janardhan,

There seems to be corrupted logs and you are trying to create it. Hence, you are not able to start the DB.

You need to restore the HANA DB with the latest backup.

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I don't have data backup files also.

Thanks

Jana

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure if you can get out of this error. According to my understanding you can never start a system with the corrupted logs. I think you need to rebuild the system. However, raise a SAP message and see if you can get some solution from them.

Also, going forward ensure that you have proper backup kept in a different location/drive

param0308
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi janardhan,

Did you get any solution for your problem?

regards

Rajender

former_member203760
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rajender,

I have rebooted my linux server and started the HANA DB.

Thanks

Jana

Answers (0)