cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Data Model Structures Causing Errors

benjamin_allsopp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

MM implementation. Added Custom fields to MARA and included in the data model as well as mapped them.

Some of the data elements that have been created are of the wrong type. ie. DEC10 instead of QUAN, DATEFORMAT instead of DATUM.

However because the two types can't be converted to each other, or need additional columns populated, when I activate the data element I get errors against the Data Model Structures and MARA.

The solution is to go to the dependent objects (MARA and the data model)  and amend them, activate them and reactivate the data element.

This works fine EXCEPT old structures for the data model are still giving the errors...and I can't manually amend them because they are automatically generated and in the SAP namespace. These structures are not even used anymore but can't be deleted or amended.

How can I fully activate my data elements without creating entirely new ones making the system messy with redundant data elements?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

d024348
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi, did you already activate the data model again and re-generate the generated structures?

I believe your change might lead to inconsistencies in the data model itself (like defining a unit for the QUAN fields), which need to be rectified up front.

Regards, Ingo Bruß

benjamin_allsopp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sequence of events:

1. Change data element and activate. Errors due to data model structures and MARA append
  2. Add the uom reference to the quan fields on MARA append and activate
  3. Add the uom reference to the quan fields on Data Model, activate and generate structures

The structure that the data model actually uses is fine and happy but the data element remains partly active because of the old irrelevant data model structures.....which can't be changed. So am I just going to have a bunch of partly active data elements hanging on my system for the rest of time? Seems a bit silly to me.

d024348
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi, when a data element is partially active, it only means that some structure/table using it is inconsistent.

If you want to delete the inconsistent tables, you have to open their namespace for change. I believe (but am not sure) that you can then delete these tables. Make sure you don't actually delete a live one (report USMD_DATA_MODEL helps by showing the live tables for a data model).

I think modifying the generated tables (name like /1MD/MD______0AU) is not possible at all manually.

Regards, Ingo Bruß

benjamin_allsopp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think you're right on this, I'm going to register each of the offending structures so that they can removed.

Thank you for your help.

Answers (0)