cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MI Backend should it be on JAVA stack or basic R/3 is fine ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am new to MI . Just starting to a fresh implementation . My Basis guy has asked me one question . I have the front end --the Web application server[ABAP + JAVA] and the communication with the backend .. My question for the communication with the backend any R/3 system should be fine.I mean to say Java stack backend it not a must it can communicate with the ABAP stack also ..

Correct me incase I am wrong .

Regards

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi abhi,

basically, an ABAP stack for MI server alone would suffice for data

synchronization. however for your NWA features to be usable, you

need to have a Java stack.

regards

jo

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

Mixed mode between Non-Unicode and Unicode systems is not supported in MI to the extent of my knowledge.

To access Data from R/3 it doesnt matter whether u do that from a ABAP stack or Java stack as every request you need will be processed from ABAP stack itself.

For the convinience of your programming u can call it from Java stack also, then that request is sent from Java stack to ABAP stack through JCo (Java Connector) and the request is processed.

-

Do award, only if you feel the above is useful,,,

Regards,

myName

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

You can refer to this link for more about MI.

Here is a fantastic references,documents,Blogs written by JO, which are very helpful.

http://jogel.blogspot.com/2006/07/learning-sap-mi.html

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

Adding to what JO has mentioned.

Middleware/server should have both JAVA and ABAP stack..mandatory.

But when it comes to Backend..if at all we are using a separate backend system ..i.e R/3 system, then it can be only ABAP stack (Java stack is not necessary)

Hope you are clear.

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik ,

Thanks for the reply .. I have some more question I need to develop a MI application to map the customer process . what I mean to say is that I have a custom screen to be built to be seen in the mobile ( front end) .. can this be done in ABAP .. I need to save this data in the mobile database and finally syncronise it to the backend which is R/3 ...

Can you tell me how to proceed on this ? it is very urgent

Regards

Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

From frontend in Mobile we generally call it as client...

As the screen can be developed in JAVA.......JSP or AWT..

JSP is better.

So we cannot create any screens in ABAP as such.

Once we create any screen in Front end (Mobile), we need to use MI APIs to get the data locally saved and then send the data to Server through middleware etc.

So we need JAVA expertise in this regard.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik ,

I had a wuick doubt while posting the below one . I have a back end on non unocide system and the MI server we are talking about needs ABAP and Java stak .for Java unicode stack is mandaotry ..how will this work .. since in one of the documentation I read that if back end is non unicode then MI server should also be non unocode in whichcase How can I go about with ABAP and JAVA?

Regards

Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

Mixed mode between Non-Unicode and Unicode systems is not supported in MI.

Refer:

Cheers,

Karthick