cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update a pricelist using 'import from excel'

0 Kudos

Hi All

I tried to update item prices for part of a pricelist using 'import from excel'

I managed to update the prices for specified items,  however the barcodes for those items were also deleted at the same time.

Any idea why this happened?

my excel table had four columns as follows:

Column A:  item code

Column B: pricelist code

Column C: price

Column 😧 currency

when I tried to update with headers it would not work.  Even a blank row at the top would not work.  For some reason when I put 1's in each cell of the first row the update worked but at the same time the barcodes for those items disappeared.

why did this happen and is there any other data that could have been deleted?

Thanks J.R.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi J.R.

When you update a price list from excel using the B1 client, you must make sure that:

• in the client import tool, you only select the columns that you want to update
  • save the excel file as "text tab-delimited"
  • do not use column headers of any kind. The order in which the columns are placed in the text file, will determine in which column the data will be imported / updated.
  • do not leave empty rows above or below the list. This is best checked from the resulting text file.
  • the columns in your text file correspond to the columns you determined in the import tool. For some reason, Excel may sometimes add an empty column at the end. You may check your text file, to see if there is an extra tab at the end of each row.
  • your excel file only contains items that are already in your company database, otherwise they will be created new with all default values and blank data.

If these things check out, then no data should have been erased. There could be a (new) bug in versions newer than 8.8, but unfortunately SAP has discontinued support for the "Import From Excel" tool, and recommends using the DTW instead. However, I use Import From Excel regularly myself, and I have never had any issues.

In your case, I recommend that you create a test copy of your database, and test the import tool, with a completely new and clean excel file. Do not copy-paste from your original Excel file. Do not leave any other Excel files open.

Regards,

Johan

0 Kudos

thanks Johan, but it seems there is a bug. I am using version 9.1 .

There is probably an issue due to multiple barcodes and multiple uom

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That makes sense, and for the same reason it would probably be safer for you to use the DTW.

Regards,

Johan

0 Kudos

haven't used DTW much. any pointers please

I need to update prices and barcodes

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check this thread and also you can find similar threads from this forum. if you face any issues, start a new discussion.

Thanks.