Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Studio recovery not working

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

A couple of weeks back, I tried to recover our SAP HANA Sandbox System and I was able to recover it via the OS command and via the SAP HANA Studio. Yesterday, I tried to do it again but the recovery via the SAP HANA Studio is not working. It just goes through the "Prepare Recovery Wizard Phase" then just dies and displays "No operations to display at this time". I tried using the OS command to restore though and it works so I'm wondering what the issue is with the HANA Studio restore. Do you guys have an idea on what to check and where to start? I checked my recover trace file and the data there looks to be from my last successful restore via HANA Studio. Details are below:

own pid: 3082

recoverSys started: 2015-06-05 10:28:12

testing master: xxx-xxxx-103

glb-hana-103 is master

creating file recoverInstance.sql

restart database

restart master nameserver: 2015-06-05 10:28:12

start system: xxx-xxxx-103

2015-06-05T10:28:28+10:00  P004280      14dc11e4a6a INFO    RECOVERY state of service: nameserver, xxx-xxxx-103:32001, volume: 1, RecoveryExecuteTopologyAndSSFSRecoveryFinished

recoverSys finished successfully: 2015-06-05 10:28:29

I already opened an OSS message on this but any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Robert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Is your service sapstartsrv is reachable ? You can check the same in overview tab. If this is yellow, please verify if your machine can resolve the host name as this is the top 1 reason why recovery does not work.

Cheers,

Sharma

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sharma,

As of the moment, it is green as the system is up. Is it supposed to be green as well when system is stopped? Because I don't see it running when the Recovery Wizard has stopped the system in preparation for the restore.

Thanks,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Have you verified with your hostname ?  Can you also refer to below link for more information.

SAP HANA Backup and Recovery - Technology Troubleshooting Guide - SCN Wiki

Cheers

Sharma

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Sharma. I verified the hostname and it can be resolved. I also have read the wiki you sent and I followed it when doing the restore. When I'm doing recovery using HANA Studio, the pop up to 'Select Recovery Type' doesn't appear. What's weird is that it used to work before and doing it via OS command still works. Also using the same HANA Studio, I can still do recovery for our other systems so it is just system specific. I might be missing something but I can't seem to find it.

Do you know if there are logs that relate to what the recovery wizard does? I know it is eclipse based software but I can't seem to find any clues on what logs are available and where are they saved. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to share.

Thanks a lot.

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Can you just re install the HANA studio on your system and try. Can you also refer to below note.

Note 1642148 - FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery

Note : 1779221

At the end of this note, you can find other notes related to Recovery getting failed.

You can verify the HANA Studio log ( located in hdbstudio/.metadata/.log)

Cheers,

Sharma

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Sharma, I'll review the notes you mentioned for further troubleshooting.

I tried to reinstall SAP HANA Studio and then retried but the same error persists. I checked the logs you mentioned and here is what I can see:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2015-06-26 08:18:57.186

!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception

!STACK 0

org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method org.eclipse.jface.wizard.IWizard.setContainer(org.eclipse.jface.wizard.IWizardContainer) of a null object loaded from field org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.wizard of an object loaded from local variable 'this')

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4441)

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4356)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:139)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4147)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3764)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1151)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1032)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:148)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:636)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:579)

at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:135)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method org.eclipse.jface.wizard.IWizard.setContainer(org.eclipse.jface.wizard.IWizardContainer) of a null object loaded from field org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.wizard of an object loaded from local variable 'this'

at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.setWizard(WizardDialog.java:1201)

at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.<init>(WizardDialog.java:321)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.ui.wizards.BaseWizardDialog.<init>(BaseWizardDialog.java:27)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.backup.wizards.recovery.RecoveryWizardDialog.<init>(RecoveryWizardDialog.java:37)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.backup.commands.recovery.PrepareRecoveryListener$1.run(PrepareRecoveryListener.java:28)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:136)

... 23 more

Any ideas on this error? Thanks a lot.

Robert

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, shot in the dark here, but maybe your HANA studio could use more memory.

Can you check whether increasing

-vmargs

-Xmx2048m

-Xms512m

-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m

in hdbstudio.ini allows to execute the recovery?

- Lars

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars. I tried this but unfortunately still the same behavior. SAP HANA Studio just doesn't do anything after "Prepare Recovery Wizard Phase". I also see the same error on the metadata logs.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

nope - that's the moment where I would also prepare the case for SAP Support and wait for feedback from them.

Good luck!

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Is your issue resolved ?

Cheers

Sharma

robert_camangon
Explorer
0 Kudos

This is fixed now. There were some folders which had incorrect permissions that SAP recommended to be changed. After the permissions were fixed, the restore from HANA Studio worked. Thanks for all the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Thanks for revert. It would be request to close the thread once you feel that it is resolved. I have also provided the link below for same.

http://scn.sap.com/community/support/blog/2013/04/03/how-to-close-a-discussion-and-why

Cheers,
Sharma