cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to combine multiple unique Inventory PN into a single common PN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is an example:

- We order 3 different sizes of mesh (according to how the vendor sells them), each with 3 unique part numbers

- Unit cost per common UofM is the same

The BOMs draw down the mesh according to the type used.

The problem, is the mesh is somewhat interchangeable, and it is impossible to know exactly which type production will use for the product on any given day (don't ask).

Knowing this, is there a way to order these products as they are, but somehow pool them into one common part number (which the BOM's would use) after they are received?

Another added issue is the units of measure would be different after consolidation. They are ordered per ROLL of mesh, and we would probably want to pool them as METERS SQUARED.

I hope this makes sense.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ok, i believe you might create a BOM relationship between the 3 items. You can use one of the existing as parent, or u could create a new one.

for other item BOM which reference them, just use the parent item among the 3.

so at least you consolidate BOM part, and when the parent item is not enough, u can always use production order to make them from those child Mesh.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Frank,

I did consider doing it this way, however it wont work because of the different sizes of the mesh.

e.g.

Mesh Roll 1: Type A - 1 meter wide 100 meters long

Mesh Roll 2: Type A - 1.5 meter wide 100 meters long

It is purchased by roll, and we draw it down by roll.

e.g.

BOM for product Z calls for 4 m2 of mesh which translates to .04 of a Roll of Mesh Roll 1 OR .027 of a Roll of Mesh Roll 2.

I guess I should figure out how to somehow inventory it as m2, even though it is purchased by roll. However I am not sure if that automatic conversion in SAP B1 is possible.

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In this case, I would suggest u create a D product using M2 as UoM.

And put D in all the BOMs.

Using production order to convert all A, B, C inventory into D.

Since you can only setup one BOM for D, (SAP B1 doesnt alternative BOM), you can use Special Production order to do it if u dont want to setup BOM, or setup a BOM, and change the component A or B or C depending on actual consumption.

In general, since your purpose to keep D as the stock, and A, B, C are only for purchase purpose, so you use Workflow to monitor the inventory level on A, B, C and create production order automatically. Or DI can help on this too.

The current workflow in SAP B1 is not easy to write due to un-intelligent B1 Studio.

Frank