cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for the number of CPU processes when a HANA statement executes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there a way to understand the number of CPU that is use when a SQL statement is being executed in SAP HANA? I want to be able to do some performance tracking by having a better insight into the parallelism that has taken place.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The parallelism can happen on various layers of the statement execution and so it is often hard to predict how large it will be. SAP Note 2100040 provides some background information about CPU utilization in SAP HANA.

My favorite approach to understand the root cause of CPU spikes is SQL: "HANA_Threads_ThreadSamples_AggregationPerTimeSlice" (SAP Note 1969700). With a properly configured "Modification section" (e.g. TIME_SLICE_S = 60, a useful AGGREGATE_BY condition for your purpose and no filter restrictions) you can check for top users, SQL statements or connections being executed during the critical time frame. Often it becomes quickly clear which SQL statement (i.e. STATEMENT_HASH) or user is responsible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Thanks for providing the OSS notes and useful tips and will give it a try shortly.

Helpful points awarded.

Answers (0)