Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What SAP module best fit me?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I've spent a lot of time reading topics/questions posted on the forums but still had a few questions. I was hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction on how to go about getting my foot in the door with SAP.

A little about me:

- I am US born and raised.
- I have a bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems from a reputable University in the US.
- I've been working for the last 2 years for a large Fortune 500, as an IT Business Analyst (requirements gathering, implementations, testing. etc.).
- The last year I've been playing the role of "System Administrator" for our company’s eGRC Platform (RSA Archer), in this role I’ve been involved with administrative functions. So my job involves duties of an IT Business Analyst (requirement gathering, implementations, testing), but also duties of an Administrator (supporting the platform, platform testing, application fixes/updates/changes/testing, module/application implementations, etc.).

-Previously I worked for a year as an IT Support Analyst for a consulting firm

I am now thinking about making a switch to SAP since there are more job opportunities in the market for this, however I am not sure on how to go about making this jump. I have zero SAP experience, but I am willing to take official SAP training courses and get certified; for me getting certified is a must, if I am spending the money on courses I want to challenge myself to get certified.

I am open to learning any module, I’ve read up on most of them and I think I would be okay with any of them (since it’s VERY difficult to choose a specific module without having hands-on experience). However, I do not want to jump in a role or module that will require a lot of technical expertise. I would ideally like to be involved with implementations but in a more Business Analyst role (less techy, but communicate with business, requirements, etc.) for a consulting firm. So what role would fit me best? And which modules would best fit my previous experience? I am not looking for definitive answers, but suggestions on modules would be nice; especially those that will remain in high-demand.

Any input is highly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rodrigo-Giner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From what you explain, I think that the best module that suit you is BI (Business Intelligence) A.K.A BW (Business Wharehouse) and also BO (Business Object)

It involves, Data Extraction, Data Modeling, Planning and Reporting to help making business decision. Making reports, Dashboards, etc.

http://go.sap.com/solution/platform-technology/business-intelligence.html

https://www.sapbi.com/

This year SAP released S/4 HANA witch is different from SAP HANA, and it has a lot of impact in BW, because of Big Data.

SAP Lumira is also a product related with Dashboard and reporting.

http://go.sap.com/product/analytics/lumira.html

So... I think your modue would be BI, inside BI you'll have a lots of tools.

Regards

9 REPLIES 9

Rodrigo-Giner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From what you explain, I think that the best module that suit you is BI (Business Intelligence) A.K.A BW (Business Wharehouse) and also BO (Business Object)

It involves, Data Extraction, Data Modeling, Planning and Reporting to help making business decision. Making reports, Dashboards, etc.

http://go.sap.com/solution/platform-technology/business-intelligence.html

https://www.sapbi.com/

This year SAP released S/4 HANA witch is different from SAP HANA, and it has a lot of impact in BW, because of Big Data.

SAP Lumira is also a product related with Dashboard and reporting.

http://go.sap.com/product/analytics/lumira.html

So... I think your modue would be BI, inside BI you'll have a lots of tools.

Regards

0 Kudos

Thanks for all the helpful information Rodrigo, I'll definitely take a closer look at the BI module. One question however, if I ended up going with the BI module, what options do I have in terms of a job role? Do you think most opportunities would be of an Administrator nature? Meaning, I would be tied to one client (assuming I take a position with a consulting firm)? Ideally I would like to work on multiple different projects, rather than playing the role of a supportive administrator. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

No at all, you could work in a company that provide services like Accenture, Deloitte, Softtek, etc so you could have several different proyects in different clients.

Now if you enter directly to a "client" company, in that case for sure that you'll have limited options, but that happens in every module ABAP, FI, HR, etc. It all depends in the vision of the company or your luck.

My advice to you is to start providing services as a consultant, you'll find more challenges, different scenarios and more work.

Regards and remember to mark the helpfull replys or close the topic as answered.

0 Kudos

Whats the best way to get my foot in the door? I currently don't have any SAP experience. Thanks again for your input.

0 Kudos

Search if there are any company at your location hiring trainees to teach and start working with them or contact the SAP offices of your location to learn more about BI courses, being certificate is a plus and help to find a job but doesn't ensure it.

I advice you to install a trial version of SAP to start get to know the system.

Software Free Trials | SAP

Setting Up BI in Netweaver 7.0 ABAP Trial version - SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse - SCN Wiki

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaan,

Certification part usually comes after learning. let's focus on which module and how it can improve you with your future.

As you are already working in field of IT you have some knowledge / information working in real time scenario and working in companies. Now you have to try to find you key area, which could be are you interested in programming, administrator or some functional activities.

If you really focus on any course you will learn it and will be able to clear those certification some or other way but what's the field of interest ?

If you feel that Administration is strong / positive point what you have then you can have details about SAP Basis, If Programming then ABAP could be good choice.

It will be always good to attend online demos for different modules and try to understand overall picture and then take a decision. While attending demo have all set of questions ready from your end which will help to analysis, Is this what you are looking for ?

I hope I have helped you.

Cheers

Sharma

0 Kudos

That makes sense Sharma, thanks for your input. Could you explain what you mean by "functiomal acitivities"? I see the term Technical and Functional being used often especially when looking a SAP certifications, but I don't fully understand what they mean in the SAP world.

0 Kudos

Hi Shaan,

Technical up here means Basis / Abap and functional in SAP means all other modules like MM, SD, FI, PI, CO, HR

Cheers

Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

After going through your profile my recommendation is SAP Basis. Basis administrators are in great demand and it logically connects to your experience where over last year you have played the role of system administrator for eGRC Platform.

Regards,