Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.2 - Unordered task groups

former_member201064
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello community,

we have / had a problem using Unordered Task Groups in our processes (entry type is similar to the SAPC_REQUEST, but we did it years before).

In our permission request we have several approvals in parallel. Meaning SAP, AD, Reports, tasks for ticket writing without any approvals and some various target systems.

We recently migrated to 7.2 SP9 Patch 9 from 7.1 SP4 (we disabling the 7.2 approval mechanisms else our requests wouldn't work anymore). In 7.1 the UOT worked very well. The migration worked quite well, too.

The final solution in 7.2 was cutting out the UOT and starting a uProvision for each subtask of the UOT. Simple is as simple does.

I searched the documentation, the SAP notes and the forum for any clues but couldn't find anything related. The Identity Center help states that an UOT should (still) work this way. I wanted to check whether this would be a migration problem: I created a simple UI workflow with two approvals and a task which simply logs something. Didn't work either, every task was executed separately.

Am I missing anything? Has anyone already opened a message for this?

Best regards

Dominik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

normann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

Unordered means all can run at once or in any unpredictable order. Depends on the load and mood of the dispatcher and runtime.

I had similar problem and here is the solution:

You link your approving task to the approval task as a "Execute task on initialize". Thus they will be executed simultaneously.

BUT: Be aware that an approval needs certain time to be initialized. Thus they can overlap under heavy load and the approving task will do nothing while the approval item remains untouched. Thus I recommend to put a waiting time in the approving task - thus the system has time to initialize the approval itself before it gets approved.

Regards

Norman

former_member201064
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Norman,

sounds like another good idea (haven't thought of that, yet I use the on init tasks for mail sending). I guess I'll test it in the Dev system.

Best regards

Dominik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

Never really been a fan of unordered task groups.  Is there a particular reason you are not using ordered groups?

Not criticizing, just looking for some inspiration to help you out.

Matt

former_member201064
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We wanted to achieve parallel approvings as some approvers take more time than others. Back in 2010 we disussed the two other possibilities we could think of:

• Calling uProvision on a separate task group for each system
  • Using an Unordered Task

I tried out the UOT and it worked as expected. So we decided on the latter one because it kept the structure intact, too. Well, I am using the first solution now.

Later on we came up with another idea. Creating a separate request for each system.

Yet, I haven't changed that since then and probably won't do it in 7.2 in the future, maybe later on.

Actually I haven't used UOT's that much either. I can remember two other projects (out of ~20) where I used them. And only for special purposes.