Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment strategy BI

dirk_herrmann
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are working on a change in our deployment strategy into the BI production system.

Just being curious, how often do you deploy to production and what reasons are behind this strategy?

Do you deploy during the week or over the weekends to avoid business service interruptions.

Is your deployment done before the loading to have new changes in or do you not risk the loadings and import after?

Brgds

Dirk

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dirk,

It all depends on how often the content is being changes and what type of objects.  The business should be driving the transport to PROD by creating change request.  Any PROD changes should go in after hours to avoid PROD impact.  Depending on how often things change in PROD, this will also define your back-up strategy for PROD.

- What type objects and how often the change ?

Regards,

Ajay

dirk_herrmann
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I see where you are coming from. But this would need to have clear specifications and UATs to be done, then I agree with you. But in my case this means a daily transport due to permanent corrections and additions; which impacts the business the on a daily base as the changes are not complete and often deliver wrong results.

This concept we had for a  long time and we were facing daily dumps and incidents due to wrong reporting and permanent changes being deployed.

I am looking more for a company having real release management to see how often the release windows are placed. Weekly or Bi-weekly.

Cheers

Dirk

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With SAP Business Objects, you can promote objects (reports, universe, etc) as and when needed and you need wait for a maintenance window. End users will not be affected as there is no downtime when you are transferring the reports (if you have schedules, you will see the changes after the next immediate schedule is invoked)

• If your production report has issues and you are getting tickets, you are in a fire fighting mode and so you have to fix it immediately. The issue cannot wait for one or two weeks.
  • Regarding your daily changes - Try to Automate/handle this in universe or report level so that you will not run into issues often. Somehow I feel it is bit too much to change the report on daily basis. Revisit your design.

If you are upgrading your BO server from one Patch to another patch or to a new Service pack, then you will need downtime and plan accordingly.