cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS File Based refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In TDMS file based refresh, if we want DATA snapshot at a particular time (say June 28th 11AM ) , How to accomplish it ?

In general let me know best known method to get data snap shot.

regards

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vinay,

It is not related to File Transfer. Overall oracle works in old snapshot. Can you please explain your requirement in detail?

Best Regards,

Rahul Mittal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Say we have ECC SCM CRM pre-production systems needs to be refreshed using file based transfer.

To keep data consistency across all these systems we need to take data snapshot at same time.

Here my assumption with file based transfer is , we dont have to build a separate sender system with production copy , we can directly connect to production system without affecting performance.

As of now , refresh is done thru RFC method where DBA take data snapshot restore in a separate systems and this system becomes sender system , we thought file based would eliminate sender system creation.

How can we refresh systems with less resource (BASIS,DBA,security) is file based is the key?

Vinay

former_member229755
Participant
0 Kudos

Vinay,

File based transfer is best applicable if the sender and receiver systems are in a different physical locations. This way you are not clogging the network which might happen while using a RFC based Transfer. File based Transfer exports the contents from the Cluster table which is used for storing the selected data from Sender system. This Cluster table resides in the Sender system and gets deleted after the Transfer.

Data can be selected without affecting the performance provided limited jobs are running for selecting the data and frequent commits to database to ensure log directory is not full.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshan,

I agree with your points I am trying to explore if file based refresh can be used to eliminate creation of sender system which we following in RFC method, as it takes quite a number of resource and infra.

regards

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vinay,

Seshan is correct. If we talk about the sender system, in File Transfer solution as well, it will consume the background and dialog work processes, because the data selection will still run in the sender system. Cluster table of TDMS will also store information in the sender system only.

In File Transfer solution, we have Export and Import Packages. Now, in export package,instead of transferring the data directly from sender to receiver system, we write the data from the cluster to the files.

In Import Package, you will have a virtual sender system which can be our control system as well. Now, the data will be populated from the files to the cluster table of virtual sender system of the import package. In 'Data Transfer Start' activity, it will write the data through RFC from sender to the receiver system.

There are 2 best use cases of File Transfer solution are:

1) Your sender and receiver system are in different locations.

2) You would like to create multiple receiver systems from a same production system. You don't need to select the data again and again. The data would be selected once and it would write it in files. Now, you can use these files to create multiple systems.

I hope it clarifies your query.

Best Regards,

Rahul Mittal