Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Tomcat on cluster

mohitsahu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have recently upgraded our Test BO 4.0 to BO 4.1 SP 5 Patch 6. We faced problem with tomcat and had to open a call with SAP for the same. They helped in redeploying the existing upgraded tomcat7.

Now we have to upgrade our BO production system and which tomcat in cluster. One Tomcat on existing BO server and other tomcat on separate server.

We are not sure how to upgrade the Tomcat which on separate server during the upgrade process. and what things needs to be taken care?

Could  you please share your experience and advice us.

Thanks

Regards,

Mohit Sahu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-55031

Above link should provide some details about applying patches.

mohitsahu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Bharath,

Thank you for the information. But i am not sure about the deployment of war files in second node. Could you please suggest me more about it?

Regards,

Mohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the link to documentation.

After applying service pack , use wdeploy tool and redeploy war files. You can use wdeploy tool via command line or in gui mode.

note: if you have any customization make sure you have it in recommended way in custom folder if not take a back up of your file .

You can find the wdeploy in start programs under sap --> business object

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100011095692014E/xi4sp10_webappdep_unix_en.pdf

mohitsahu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Bharath,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

The problem here is how we can upgrade the BO which on separate server. I mean when we dont have updated war files on this server, how we can update tomcat without it?

Regards,

Mohit

cbethune
Participant
0 Kudos

Mohit,

A couple questions.

1.  Is the secondary node just Tomcat or is it a full BI Platform stack?

2.  If just Tomcat, was it installed as a standalone Tomcat using media from Apache or a 3rd Party or was it setup using the BI Platform Install media?

If it was setup using the BI Platform Install media, you can just install the web tier, then you would need to get a copy of the install media over to second server and then run the setup.

If it is a standalone third party version of Tomcat then I would suggest going with the command line version of wdeploy:

1.  On the server where the working version of Tomcat is located use wdeploy with the predeploy command.

2.  Update the Tomcat software on the target system if needed

3.  Copy the predeployed files over to the target system

4.  Use the wdeploy tool on the target system with the deploy only option to deploy the war files

Easiest way is to leverage the install media and install the web tier only, but it can be done when Tomcat (or other is stand alone).

See if these docs are of any help

https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000827312013E/sbo41sp1_bip_wapd_unix_en.pdf

(separate server scenario is covered in this guide)

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Distributed+installation+of+SAP+Business+Intelligence+and+...

(this covers installs across multiple hosts)

mohitsahu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

As I can see on 2nd server the tomcat was not installed from apache but I can see the BO directory as well. and on this server only tomcat is running and BO is disabled.

As you mentioned points for this scenario to copy the media and then run setup but in that case it will run through the BO upgrade as well and  i don't think it gives option to just upgrade your tomcat only.

Could you please give me more information for this method and also how i can take care of the reverse proxy thing as well?

Many Thanks!

Regards,

Mohit

cbethune
Participant
0 Kudos

I am not super well versed in Reverse Proxy and usually depend on IT and Network Admins to cover that.

If your Web Tier (Tomcat in your case) was installed using the Install media then you can simply run the update for a Support Pack or Patch.  It will update only what was installed.

If you need to use the Full Install media, then you can select to only install the Web Tier components.

There are pattern books available that cover various install scenarios, you might want to take a look there.

SAP Business Intelligence Platform Pattern Books - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wik...

The following SAP is older and covers how to upgrade Tomcat specifically but it does lead to more info on redeploying web applications.  It may be of some help too.  Perhaps its more aling the lines of what you are looking for.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2023545

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohit,

I am also in the same situation. If you have upgrade your tomcat could you please share the steps with us.

Thanks and Regards,

Prasad

cbethune
Participant
0 Kudos

Two ways you can go about this:

Use the following SAP Note to update Tomcat.  In order to have it show up in the CCM tool (assuming you installed originally from the BI Platform install media) remember to name the Windows Service BOEXI40Tomcat as described in the note. (if you are on Windows)

Pro: You are using the SAP documented procedure

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2023545

Con: You may need to manually deploy your web applications via wdeploy from the command line

Use the install media

Backup any customizations such as config files, custom logos, etc.

* Uninstall the existing Tomcat

Install the Web Tier ONLY using the full install of the BI Platform install media

Patch your installation using the patch installer

* NOTE: This could be done without uninstalling; I suggest this to simplify the process

Pro: You are using the SAP provided install media; you can use the patch installer going forward, the installer will automatically redeploy the webapps; you get a GUI based wdeploy tool in the event you need to do a redeploy.

Con: This is NOT the documented process; while I have found it to be safe you do so at your own risk (standard disclaimer); you will have a slightly older build of Tomcat than what you would get from the Apache download by following the above process.

Regards,

Chris