cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the required Crystal Decisions .DLLs for .NET 4.5.2 Windows Appliation Deployment?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have developed the Microsoft .NET (Framework v4.5.2) Windows application using C# language, Visual Studio 2012 IDE, Log4Net and Crystal Reports XI (Release 2). This application is targeted for Win7 64-bit operating system and is developed to replace the old system (developed for Windows 2003 sever). The application works fine on the development machine as it is having Microsoft .NET Framework v4.5.2, Visual Studio 2012 and Crystal Reports XI (Release 2) installed. The application development is completed and now it is the time for QA (testing). I have crated an installer (.EXE) for this application to deploy on QA machines (Win7 64-bit OS) and perform testing. The application gets installed without any issues and the user interface is displayed without any issues. However, the application gives an error as below when it creates the Crystal Report document.

Exception

---------------------------

The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' threw an exception.

I have registered the below Crystal Decisions .DLLs in GAC on one of the QA machine. These .DLLs are the ones that I have referenced in Windows Forms project solution (Visual Studio 2012) while the application development. I have also installed the log4net.dll in GAC.

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Design.dll

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.resources.dll

CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework.dll

CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore.dll

CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.dll

CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.resources.dll

CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll

CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.dll

Still the application is giving the type initializer error. I am trying to understand what are the missing DLLs that are required for the application to run without the Crystal Decisions errors. Please let me know if I am missing anything in this deployment. Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagalinga,

Visual Studio 2012 is NOT compatible with CR XI R2.

The only version which works with VS 2012 is .

Download and install SP14 Install Executable from above link, on top of VS 2012.

Upon installing you would see 13.0 version CR assemblies in GAC. Use these assemblies as references to your project.

Remove older (11.5) references from your app and add new assembly references. Recompile the app.

Thanks,

Bhushan

0 Kudos

And for the redist packages use one of the other links, first one is for VS install only.

Do not install just the redist package on your DEV PC.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan and Don,

I apologize for the delay in response. Thank you both for giving the information. As per your suggestion, I have installed the Support Pack 14 ("CRforVS_13_0_14.exe") from the SAP URL given, removed the references to older references (v11.5), added the new assembly references and verified the application. It works fine and I am able to print the reports without any issues. However, when I have created an installer and tested it on our QA machine (64-bit OS), the application is throwing the exception below.

Crystal Reports
             An error has occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime.

Either the Crystal Reports registry key permissions are insufficient or the Crystal Reports runtime is not installed correctly.

Please install the appropriate Crystal Reports redistributable (CRRedist*.msi) that contains the version of the Crystal Reports runtime (x86, x64, or Itanium)  that is required.  Please go to http://www.businessobjects.com/support for more information.

OK

I have included all the assemblies in installer that are referenced in the project solution, but then I am getting this error when ran the application. I tried to install "CRforVS_13_0_14.exe" on the QA machine and received an error that the Visual Studio 2010 or higher must be installed on the machine. But our client machines will not be having Visual Studio software installed. I understand that we have to install the some redistributable as mentioned in error message. I was googling and read in one of the posts that we have to install "CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_14.msi" to resolve the issue. Is this correct? I have not tried this option yet. Could you please let me know which redistributable (EXE/MSI) should I install on client machines to support the application? Also please give me the URL where I can find the redistributable. Our client machines will be plain Windows 7 64-bit OS machines that would not have any development software (such as Visual Studio). Kindly help me with the Crystal Reports redistributable which I have to include in installer for deployment. Once again thanks in advance.

Hi Don,

You have mentioned as below in your post:

"And for the redist packages use one of the other links, first one is for VS install only.

Do not install just the redist package on your DEV PC."

I did not get your words. Could you please let me know which URL should I use for redistributable package? Also please let me know the redistributable package name. Is it the same as "CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_14.msi"? Kindly let me know in detail to install the correct redistributable on client machines and test the application. Thanks in advance.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Run the "CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_14.msi" on deployed computers if you compiled the app as 64 bit. Use the 32 bit MSI if the app is cmpiled 32 bit - OS bitness does not matter.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thank you. I have tried this option by installing "CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_14.msi" on client machine (Win7 64-bit OS). When ran the application, it has thrown an exception as below.

Exception

The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' threw an exception.

OK

I have checked the Add/Remove Programs console and observed that the machine has "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework (64-bit)" installed. This is the one and only Reports related software got installed on the machine when verified. I believe, this has got installed when I ran the "CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_14.msi" package. Am I missing any other Crystal Reports related redistributables with this deployment. Our client machines will be the plain ones with Win7 64-bit OS installed and they will not be having any development software such as Visual Studio. These machines are from PROD environment and should support the Crystal Reports based applications without any issues. The .NET application is ready for release, but I am stuck with installer creation to package the .NET application with Crystal Reports required components. Kindly consider and let me know what are the correct and required redistributables (i.e. runtime plug-ins) for .NET applications (that generates Crystal Reports) deployment. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Error is generated because your application is compiled for 32 bit. Install the 32 bit MSI and try again.

http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0_14.zip

Our redist packages are for the application platform and not the OS platform.

Don

Answers (0)