cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Multi-host system. Do instances have to have the same number?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I know in all documents that I read it said that all instances of a HANA SID must have the same number.

But I feel like I came across a document (can't find it again!) that stated that as of some SPS this is no longer required.

Can anybody  help me with that?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For multitenant you can check SAP Note 2101244 ("Usually we connect to SAP HANA Database through indexserver which also serves as SQL port so how do we connect to system DB when there is no indexserver?" and "Why do we see indexserver port other than 3<InstanceNr>03 on tenant databases?"). It's basically the port number that changes between the different tenant databases.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Different nodes of a SAP HANA scale-out system always need to have the same instance number. If you ever come across a document stating something different, please provide feedback in this thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello  Martin,

But in ECC systems, Different instance name is possible. Can you please help me clarrifying this concept.

Thankyou in advance.

Regards

S. Basis

Former Member
0 Kudos

ECC is currently only generally supported on single-node SAP HANA, so the question doesn't apply to this scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello  Martin Sir,

I ain't talking about ECC on HANA...I am talking about ECC on Oracle... Could you please help me..

Regards

S. Basis

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have questions related to ECC on Oracle, please use an appropriate SCN forum. this forum here is "SAP HANA and In-Memory Computing".

Former Member
0 Kudos

S Basis,

Yes, on ECC/Oracle we would typically have each instance with a different number. This is the exact opposite with HANA.

see the capture from sap portal attached. In all documents, they mention that this is a requirement.

Now, why this is the case, is a good question as I can't find the answer (in simple words) to that anywhere. If anyone comes up with a good rationale, or better reference it - that would be great!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello  Eliza,

Your are correct, Same subject I have been talking about. And, I also came across same screenshot which you have mentioned.

We need clarrification on this....

Regards

S. Basis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello  Elizaveta,

If instances are segregate on Multiple physical hosts, then instances number may or mayn't be same. Depend upon consultant/client wish.In big & complex landscape,Usually we keep different instance number for effective managment.

If they are on same host, then instances number must be different.

Regards

S. Basis