cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Anywhere 16 HTML Help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

when opened for the first time in the day the HTML Help for SQL Anywhere 16 takes a very long time to load. It looks very much like its 'phoning home' to check out what's in DocX.

How can I stop this behaviour?

Thanks, Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using a shortcut that points to the locally installed chm. I even put HH on the front to launch it. The installation file was downloaded in March.

It's noticeable that on each page the comment at the bottom flicks over from "Read the comments...." to "Be the first to comment..." on DCX. The long wait for it to open only occurs on the first time it's opened in a day (the PC is turned off overnight). After that it opens almost straight away. FWIW this is on an SSD.

Paul

BTW Breck, sqlanywhere.blogspot.com.au hasn't been updated since 20 Feb. Accident or design? Try as I might I can't stop it diverting from .au to try other sites.

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

I see what you are talking about... apparently every single time a Compiled HTML page opens, it calls a DCX web service (?) to determine if there are any comments.

That process has never, ever slowed anything down in my experience, and I use CHTML because of the speed... so, in your case, there may be something special. Perhaps it is a firewall issue.

I think the blogspot.com.otherTLDs are straight mirror sites. No, there have been no updates to the blog for a long time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Breck,

I used Sysinternals Process Monitor to have a look and found that when I first try to open the help the corporate spyware virus scanner reads every file in the Documentation folder. Of all things, I have a similar delay opening ini files with Notepad. These are the only two things I've seen exhibit this behaviour

Anyway, although we've established that the help does phone home it seems that's not the cause of my basic problem.

Thanks again, Paul

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

The local HTML file is loading quickly for me, after a reboot, so something must be different between our environments.

Have you downloaded the HTML Help recently?

Is your HTML Help stored on a network drive?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

When you say it takes very long time to load, do you mean it's taking time as if it's loading a dcx site rather than loading local html files? Are you accessing the Internet shortcut that opens the actual website or local HTML help files? The local help files are located at %SQLANY16%\Documentation\EN\HTMLHelp

Jinwoo