cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank Report VB.net Winforms

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used Crystal Reports 14.0.2 to build a report with a parameter field.  The report works fine on my development machine.  Then I called it from a VB.net, winform application using:

Dim RViewer As New ReportViewer

Dim CoProfile As New ReportDocument

CoProfile.Load("\\OZ\OZ Development\Assets\Company Profile.rpt")

CoProfile.SetDatabaseLogon("username", "password")

CoProfile.SetParameterValue("CompanyGUID", _obj.CompanyGUID.ToString)

RViewer.CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = CoProfile

RViewer.Text = "Company Profile for - " & _obj.CompanyName

RViewer.Name = "Company Profile"

RViewer.ShowDialog()

When I run the application I get a blank report:

The correct parameter is showing.  And when I click the refresh button in the toolbar it asks for the parameter.  If I give it the same exact parameter as was provided by the app and shows in the parameter panel I get the report rendered correctly.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try refreshing the report object after loading the rpt and before setting anything.

Dim CoProfile As New ReportDocument

CoProfile.Load("\\OZ\OZ Development\Assets\Company Profile.rpt")

CoProfile.Refresh()

CoProfile.SetDatabaseLogon("username", "password")

CoProfile.SetParameterValue("CompanyGUID", _obj.CompanyGUID.ToString)

RViewer.CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = CoProfile

RViewer.Text = "Company Profile for - " & _obj.CompanyName

RViewer.Name = "Company Profile"

RViewer.ShowDialog()

Thanks,

Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately it didn't help.  Any other ideas what could cause this behavior?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See the sample apps here:

Crystal Reports for .NET SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

In particular, check out vbnet_win_paramengine.zip, vbnet_win_multirangeparam.zip and vbnet_win_rangeparameters.zip. The following may also be of use:

vbnet_win_sub_daterange_param_engine.zip

Oh and maybe

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Ludek.  I have reviewed the material you sent and have found there are a couple of ways to pass parameters from a VB.net application to a Crystal Report.  I have tried a few.

Using the same code I started with but changing the parameter (and report filter) from a GUID to a integer it works.  Now the code looks like: 

Private Sub PrintFlowSheet()

Dim FloSheet As New ReportDocument

FloSheet.Load("\\OZ\OZ Development\Assets\Flow Sheet by EncNum.rpt")

FloSheet.SetDatabaseLogon("username", "password")

FloSheet.SetParameterValue("EncounterNum", 12380)

RViewer.CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = FloSheet

RViewer.Text = "Flow Sheet for - " & _objEmployee.FirstName & " " & _objEmployee.LastName

RViewer.Name = "Flow Sheet"

RViewer.ShowDialog()

End Sub

This has a hard coded Encounter number for testing purposes.  But my question now is: Does Crystal Report support sqlGUIDs, and how do I handle them if they are.  And suggestions for work arounds if they aren't.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found it, finally.  Thank you, Ludek and Bhushan, very much.  I appreciate your suggestions.  From the resources Ludek send I narrowed the issue to the GUID.  I found another forum post () and Jason Longs answer worked for me.