cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling disabling Log transaction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've read about the option to disable the transaction log.

I need to user master database to execute the command for disable transaction log por database ECP?

If I want to disable transaction log is

use master

go

sp_dboption ECP, 'trunc',true

go

use SBP

go

checkpoint

go

If I wanto to enable again the transaction log is simply to change the true option for false?

The checkpoint command is mandatory to change the mode of transaction log?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The "truncate log on checkpoint" option does not actually disable the log.  It does cause ASE to try to truncate the log each time the system checkpoint process executes a checkpoint, which keeps the log pruned up to the beginning of the oldest open transaction.  Log records are still generated and used for transaction rollbacks, though.

It is not necessary to manually issue a checkpoint command after sp_dboption.  A long time ago a manual checkpoint was required after sp_dboption, but ASE has been automatically doing so for quite some time now.

If you want to turn this option off and return to a state where you can create transaction log dumps for recovery, you need to turn this option to false, then perform a full database dump (as a starting point for future transaction log dumps).  You will then be able to dump the transaction log to an archive device.

-bret

Answers (0)