cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an HTTP alias refer to a network directory?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to serve some static files from a SAP J2EE server that is set up as a multi-server cluster. I would expect that for this to work, I would need to put these files in a network-accessible directory and create an HTTP alias that points to that directory.

However, I have not been able to get that to work. Can anyone confirm if this should work and give an example of the syntax needed to specify a UNC (Windows fileshare) directory as the target of an HTTP alias?

Thanks,

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm, not sure about this one. I don't completely get what you are trying to do so just ignore me if I am off.

HTTP generally runs over port 80 by default and Windows file sharing over port 445. They are different protocols and thus I would not expect to be able to share over HTTP.

An HTTP alias (server.company.com) is a DNS alias. So you would need to setup that name in DNS. DNS can point to any resource that can be assigned an IP and then you create a share off that name (
server.company.com\share).

If you want to open a file in a browser you do so locally by specifying somthing like below. I am not sure that you can feed this back to a client from an HTTP host though.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/temp/file.txt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

What I am referring to is the ability to configure the SAP J2EE server so that it serves files in some directory through HTTP.

Thus if I configure an HTTP Alias in the NetWeaver Administrator tool called "foo" and point it to the directory c:\temp, I should be able to go to a web browser and see a list of the files in c:\temp displayed as a web page, if I go to the URL http://myserver:myport/foo.

So my question is, if instead of pointing to c:\temp, I wanted to point to a directory on a network share somewhere (for example
server2\myfileshare), what would I have to type into NetWeaver Administrator to make it work?

I tried the obvious, but so far it has not worked.

Jeff