Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple currencies in 1 planning area

former_member209252
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We're in the process to create a planning area without a base currency (SAP guidelines say that it is optional field).

However we also have a Key Figure for sales revenue.

Our business scenario involves multiple currencies & multiple plants (1 sales Org. can sale in EURO / USD.... we need to store in DB the original price, in the original sales currency)

By above method we want to avoid the data conversion issues with currency fluctuations.

Can you advise if there are any pitfalls of this solution & any problems that can be foreseen?

Thanks for your advice

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RahulHanda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arieh,

Here are some questions:

• In planning area its optional. But I hope you will be maintaining the same in key figure definition, right?
  • Just thinking it in wider prospect how are you planning to reflect the same in planning books? Example one KF is base currency, now which currency would it reflect (as currency - example EURO/USD/AUSD)? Will user just keep on changing in planning book? If yes then you need to put right logic that it changes with right conversion factor, isn't it?

For a minute let's take another approach.

Your sales revenue would be calculated on the basis of forecast numbers and let's say average selling price (could be per customer/plant whatever). So forecast for a month is 100K & avg. selling price is 1USD, this means by sales revenue would be 100KUSD.

If all the sales person put their avg. selling price in USD (as an example) it would be easy for you to architect the solution. The avg.selling price for a customer/plant could vary example to one you are selling at 1USD to another at 0.95USD or 1.05USD. This way you can easily calculate your sales revenue.

Now for reporting you can use BW where you can use conversion factors to convert average selling price or revenues in local currencies. This will make sure that you don't have to architect a complex DP, where in pulling conversion factors/fluctuations etc on a daily/weekly/monthly basis depending upon forecast cycle. As I hope you might be pulling this factors in BW for other reporting also.

Let me know your opinion.

Regards

Rahul

former_member209252
Participant
0 Kudos

my problem is that i need to know what was the original currency, it is needed in order to copy the forecast from from 1 year to the next. for example if i copy the sales of last year as a forecast to next year, and it was 100 EUR 1.2015, and exchange rate was 1.3 EUR/USD, if the stat. currency is USD, the data saved as 130USD. assuming today the exchange is 1.1 EUR/USD, i can't copy the data in USD, because the forecast for the next year 1.2016 should be 100EUR = 110USD.

the problem is that i don't know the original currency, and the sales can be in many currencies.

the only way i can think of is to add the currency as characteristic, or find user exit to control currency data.

RahulHanda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Arieh,

I think your requirement is still not clear. Let me take an Example and mention what is missing in that. Check below example and mention what is missing. Though you original question was whether you should go for multiple currencies or not? I hope that has been answered, if that's the case close one topic and open another so that things they don't get mix-up.

Sales ForecastPC100001500012000
Avg Selling PriceEURO222
Sales RevenueUSD260003900028800
Conversion Factor1Euro to USD1,31,31,2

Regards

Rahul

former_member209252
Participant
0 Kudos

Rahul,

if i had only 2 currency your suggestion was simple, but i have 7 different currencies, to implement your suggestion i will have to create 7 different in order to know the original currency, is this correct?

RahulHanda
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Arieh

I am trying to figure out your requirement with this example. Explain what would you expect if above is the situation. It's not a suggestion but situation mentioned by yourself. This is what you mentioned in your previous message and am trying to put the same in tabular way.

Sales ForecastPC100001500012000
Avg Selling PriceEURO222
Sales RevenueUSD260003900028800
Conversion Factor1Euro to USD1,31,31,2

Now explain what would you expect if above is the situation and what do you want to copy and where?

I hope you got the point.

Regards

Rahul