Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Limits to the Number of Documents held in a DMS Folder

Hi, we are on Sap 740 and are using Sap DMS and Easy DMS.  We currently use Easy DMS to hold and access documents numbering in the low hundreds.  In support of this we have constructed a document / folder hierarchy which reflects the departmental structure.

We are in the process of extending the use of the DMS to hold material related documents i.e. fact Sheets.  These are to reside in a single folder within the document hierarchy.

We have performed the migration of the respective documents [numbering 1700 plus] into a test system and users have commented how slow it is to initially access the folder containing these technical documents.  Say 2 minutes or more.  For this application we are using the DMS browser accessed via CV01N [PLM is active in our Sap system which enables this] and not Easy DMS.

Having done some research on this I have found references to document limits being mentioned in the range 600-800 to be held within a folder which it-self is part of a hierarchy.  After which performance becomes an issue.

Can I ask whether any-one has experience / knowledge of such limits in respect of a maximum or optimum number of documents to be held in a single folder before performance degrades.

It is possible that multiple folders are the answer but we would prefer to retain these documents in single folder.

We are using CV01N and the browser to access the folder initially and once located, creating new documents manually and when done in this way, the document is automatically linked to the correct folder in the hierarchy.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Tags:
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question