Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing using eCATT in solution manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have been going through SMI310 and on help site of SAP it says

• You can assign CATTs and eCATT configurations to structure elements, and call them. You can record settings and import preconfiguration with CATT and eCATT functions.

at the link below under heading features

Configuration Tab Page - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

can someone please guide me how i can record customizing through eCATT and use it for the rollout

actually i need steps for it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Valdecir
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

I believe that we need to first understand how eCATT/CATT work.

eCATT/CATT is a recording of user actions within SAP GUI. This recording is actually a automated ABAP program and thus will need to be recorded in a system which allows creation of ABAP programs and creation of Transport Requests.

Normally we record a new eCATT procedure from Solution Manager (which allows creation of programs and transport requests), connecting to a remote system (which normally is a system which DOES not allow repository or configuration changes.

This way all "intelligence" of the recording will remain on Solution Manager and can be repeated as many times as you need on remote systems.

After recording, you can make some adjustments in the recording, indicating that some fields will receive variable content during execution, for instance, a list of different vendor numbers. This way you can execute a single eCATT procedure and create several different results (one for each different vendor). I'm mentioning "vendor" as an example. You can define any input field used as a variant field.

Normally you will record eCATT/CATT procedures for using in test automation (to speed up the testing process whenever a change is applied in the system), that is, you will use it to simulate an end user performing this transaction.

However, if you want to record the system configuration itself in a development system, this can be quite tricky. The problem is that any configuration you perform in a development system will ask for a transport request to record that configuration and this screen (asking for the transport request) will be part of your eCATT/CATT procedure whenever you execute it, so this particular procedure would require to be recorded in a way that you can pass the transport request number to the procedure and that this procedure will only be allowed to be executed against a system that allows you to make changes on it.

This scenario is a little bit complex to explain in few words, but I hope that I could clarify it a little.

If this is not what you wanted, please, send me more details on your expectations.

Regards,

Valdecir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valdecir

Thanks for the detailed description. now i understand the concepts and the issues clearly.

just one more question, same like LSMW can we give a text file from where eCATT during execution can enter data in the fields?

i will try to create a script.

thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

in eCATT you have the concept of "external data variants", which are CSV based textfiles. There you can store (test-)data in a line based way and use or work with this data in eCATT scripts during execution.

In eCATT script you have to use such parameters as the variables to put data in you applicatin, which you drive with the eCATT script.

Hope that helps first - kind regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just ask for other questions...

Christoph

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

no answer?

anyone familiar with eCATT or this area is not used much so far?

Former Member
0 Kudos

really no one is there to help me out with eCATT?